Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended date to take the hold off - Dec 31, Jan1, Jan2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to put the Model Y on Hold from Dec7th to Jan7th (it was a fairly easy process as my order date was in Sep 2021 and this was my first Vin allocation)

Trying to see if I should take the hold off before Jan 7th? Reason I am thinking of taking the hold off before Jan 7th is due to possible number of people taking the hold off on Jan 1 who were waiting for Jan1 or after purchase date to take advantage of proposed tax rebate. Based on what I have read in some of the threads, once you take the hold off you may be pushed down the queue. Don't want to end up way behind if there will be a number of people taking the hold off around Jan 1. Thoughts ? Suggestions.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Most people it seems have been forced to come off hold. If you've received a VIN then you're likely at the front of the line.

There are August orders like mine and various non-held July/August orders that take priority over the OP. Also folks with VINs from mid to late Dec will have early Jan deliveries. Just don't expect unholding Jan 1st (or around there) for a car to be delivered any time soon. My guess is a month after Jan 1st. - at least.

Upvote 0
I was able to put the Model Y on Hold from Dec7th to Jan7th (it was a fairly easy process as my order date was in Sep 2021 and this was my first Vin allocation)

Trying to see if I should take the hold off before Jan 7th? Reason I am thinking of taking the hold off before Jan 7th is due to possible number of people taking the hold off on Jan 1 who were waiting for Jan1 or after purchase date to take advantage of proposed tax rebate. Based on what I have read in some of the threads, once you take the hold off you may be pushed down the queue. Don't want to end up way behind if there will be a number of people taking the hold off around Jan 1. Thoughts ? Suggestions.
Shhhh…. Careful! You will tip off other TMC members to your next move. Better to tell everyone that you will be taking off your hold on Jan 7 and secretly take it off earlier 😉. Personally, I will be removing my hold on Dec 28 and will be getting ahead of all of you suckers removing your holds on Jan 1 😎.

Upvote 0
Shhhh…. Careful! You will tip off other TMC members to your next move. Better to tell everyone that you will be taking off your hold on Jan 7 and secretly take it off earlier 😉. Personally, I will be removing my hold on Dec 28 and will be getting ahead of all of you suckers removing your holds on Jan 1 😎.
Ok I am doing the 27th then :p

Upvote 0
I think the prudent thing would be to see if BBB even passes this year. If it doesn't, there is absolutely no guarantee that the Jan 1 date will still apply. It would be trivial for the legislation to be updated to list the start date to the date it is signed (I have seen language in some versions to that effect) if it does pass.

Upvote 0
I think most of the people who can wait for couple of weeks for the car is taking a gamble to wait till January. I am sure there will be folks who will be waiting till BBB passes but most of them ( who really need the car) will start taking of he hold off and taking delivery in January

Upvote 0