TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recommended Electrician for Northern VA/Virginia?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by tiblot, May 28, 2013.

1. tiblot

tiblot Member

Hi! I'm looking to get a Level 2 outlet, 240v NEMA 14-50 installed. I've been getting prices all over the place.

Can anyone recommend a good electrician? Thanks!!

2. Tempus

Tempus Member

We ended up going with Murphy Family Electric for that exact service.
    Murphy Family Electric

They were great, and quite a bit cheaper than some of the other quotes we got.

Tempus

3. tiblot

tiblot Member

Thank you sir. I'll contact them. Mind me asking what you got installed and what you paid?

4. tegibso

tegibso Member

5. tiblot

tiblot Member

6. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I got 3 quotes for the work and they were ALL over the map (+/- $1000). I had the same installation as you w/ a NEMA 14-50 running a 50A circuit. In the end I went with Kolb Electric and they did a great job.

7. tiblot

tiblot Member

Thanks everyone! Yeah I'm getting prices way too varied. All I need is a 5 foot install from my main panel in the garage ... should be relatively easy to me =/

- - - Updated - - -

Did you guys get a Permit? I'm in Solarcity is trying to charge me $300 for a permit lol

8. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

As an out of market point of reference (CT), I had a similar situation as you with a 10 ft horizontal run from panel to garage. My electrician did the following:
    Add a 50A breaker to the box
    Run conduit out of the panel, conceal in the ceiling and drop to 48" height
    Run wiring
    Install 14-50 outlet and box on an existing support pole
    Extra: installed a breaker and NEMA 5-20R outlet right next to panel (as long he was out here)
    Total cost: $385

9. Amin

Amin Member

FIA designs installed my HPWC, extra outlet and meter base for less than what others charged for an outlet - highly recommend 703-926-4108

10. JST

JST Active Member

Fwiw, I got quotes from Murphy, Kolb and Root. Murphy quoted the lowest price, but it was over the phone--they seemed reluctant to come out and actually look.

I went with Root. They weren't too far off Murphy, and they came out, looked around and provided some good input on where to put everything.

Had a 14-50 put in at the driveway in back and a 5-20 put in on the light pole in front. Total was about $1500, but each was at least a 30' run from the panel.