TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recommended Electricians for Charger Installation

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Tony_YYZ, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Member

Hi All,

Just wondering if we could get a list going of Electricians in various part of Canada that users have used to get their HPWC, NEMA 14-50, Juicebox, etc installed at reasonable rates. I have read a lot of stories about customers being price gouged once they hear you are installing a charger for a Tesla.

Now that Model 3 is on the horizon and to help any new S & X owners it would be good to get some great contacts listed and offer them business if they are charging fair prices for quality work. I have 200 amp service to my house and would like to get a sub panel installed in the garage for a future charger or two once I order my EV of choice. Providing that is the most reasonable course of action rather than just running a single line from the breaker panel to the garage.

If you have had any experience you would like to share please list them below and keep the following format so that it's easier to parse through. Thanks!

Work Done:
    Results:
    Price Paid: (Do not have to post price if you are not comfortable)

• Like x 2
  2. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

Oakville-Toronto area, really much of S. Ontario: JML Electric installed our HPWC in 2014. I don't remember the price. They were the cheapest of 5 estimates by a little and, importantly, may have done more Tesla installations than anyone in the area. Excellent results, despite their having to hack about a long stretch of ceiling for a cable. (You can't see now that they did anything.)

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. TomatoOne

TomatoOne Member

#3 TomatoOne, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Here's an invoice from Bosch, around summer 2015. They used a local installer who came over to see the site and provide an estimate.

I already had two unused 8 awg cables running from the breaker panel to the garage, so the job was to connect one of them to the breaker panel, install a 14-50 outlet in the garage and mount the charger.

Work Order (verbatim):
    • Supply and install a 40 Amp 2-pole breaker
    • Tie existing cable in to the panel
    • Use the existing cable in the garage, connect, mount and test the charger.
    • Organize and arrange for ESA inspection.
    Cost Summary:
    • Labor and Materials: $775
    • Permit Fee: $175
    • EVSE (30A Bosch PowerMax): $631
    • EVSE shipping: $75
    • Total (after tax): $1849
    We chose not to accept the offer (see below), but the installer appeared knowledgeable and had a lot of EV-related experience.

4. TomatoOne

TomatoOne Member

#4 TomatoOne, Apr 12, 2017
    After some consideration, we figured that paying almost $1000 in parts+labor is a little much to install a breaker and a NEMA outlet, so in the end our costs were:
    • non-fusible switch (the code states you need the means to disconnect the line inside the garage, but it doesn't have to be a breaker panel): $55
    • 40A breaker (check your panel type before buying): $25
    • 14-50 outlet and box: $10
    • ESA permit/inspection for an EV charger/outlet (see fee schedule, section "4.4.4 Electric Vehicle Chargers and related equipment"): $74
    Inspectors are friendly and help you with advice if something is missing. They are not always in agreement with the previous inspector's requirements :), but you just have to go with it.

Once the wiring was certified, I built an OpenEVSE kit, and used it successfully since. Now using the same outlet to charge the Tesla, with the current limited to 32A. It should be possible to upgrade to a wall connector and get 72A if we up the breaker and hook up one more of the available 8 awg cables in parallel, but so far 32A had been plenty for overnight charging.

5. doubeld

doubeld Member

Is that allowed? My very little electrical code knowledge says that would be a no-no.

6. TomatoOne

TomatoOne Member

#6 TomatoOne, Apr 12, 2017
    I don't see why not, but need to check local code. Google finds that parallel conductors are typically allowed, as long as they are the same gauge, type and length. The charging cable from the mobile connector or HPWC is already multi-strand. My 50A-rated J1772 cable is also comprised of triple multi-strand 12 awg lines strands for flexibility.

7. stevenbranch

stevenbranch New Member

Thanks for sharing.

8. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

AFAIK this is not allowed in Canada except for very heavy gauges of wire.

• Informative x 1
  9. phigment

phigment Member

Will give a more thorough review when the ESA inspection is done, but I'm glad I was here during the install.

I'm getting a 100A subpanel put in 35ft from my 200A main. Then a 60A line to the HPWC.
    The quote was for aluminum from the main, and copper to the HPWC. They showed up with aluminum for both. I asked about it and double checked, are you sure you can run aluminum to the HPWC? Are the HPWC contacts rated for aluminum? They said it shouldn't be a problem.

A couple hours later as they were packing up, I happened to stumble upon the part in the manual that says "Use only copper conductors". After reading this, they agreed and are now running a new line between the subpanel and HPWC.

Sigh.

• Like x 1
  10. McCaesar

McCaesar Member

That's good to hear. I have an appointment with them to install in a week.

• Like x 1
  11. Veedio

Veedio Member

Has anyone else had trouble picking up a Tesla charger? I’m pretty sure I remember posts where others had picked theirs up at Tesla and I know a RN is all you need for online. Tried to pick one up today at the Oakville location and was adamantly refused without at VIN. I have electricians booked to install on Wednesday so I can’t even order one via the web in time. Crazy that a RN is good enough for online but not in person.

12. McCaesar

McCaesar Member

I bought mine on a Saturday at the Oakville location. There was no one in from service so they took down my email address and CC information with no VIN and I walked out with it. They charged my CC on Monday, sent me an invoice and said when I get my VIN to call them so they can update their records for the rebate form. Even the electrician says they don't need my VIN for the installation.

Try on a Saturday, maybe :)

13. oakvillemike

oakvillemike Member

I actually bought online on May 2 in the afternoon, shipping notification received the next day May 3 in the morning, and shipped international priority by Fedex. I received it over lunchtime today. Really wasn't expecting priority shipping nor it being free either. If you still have trouble, you might be able to receive via online on Tuesday but it's a bit of a gamble.

14. jabe

jabe Member

JML upgraded my panel but for charger i went with Calibre Electric
    they are installing charger monday. i ordered charger on line and showed up 4 day later.
    now that i have vin have to sort out filling out forms for charger/charger install rebates.
    jb

15. deleted

deleted New Member

If you order the charger through Tesla does it ship from the US or Canada? Does that matter for the rebate?

16. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Member

You receive an invoice from the Lawrence Service center and that qualifies it for the rebate.

17. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

How much they charged you for panel upgrade.

18. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

I have one while I installed Charger in my Garage and upgrade from 100Amp to 200Amp service, at the time I bought my leaf. He quoted me with least price from about 5 quotes that I asked around.

He ended up doing a great job, highly recommend.

I can send you the contact privately, if you wish to check.

19. jabe

jabe Member

$3200 didn't get many quotes seemed about right price

20. ElectricCanuck

I just bought one online Tuesday, and shipping estimate is Thursday. Pretty fast!