Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Electricians for Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotten several quotes from the list of electricians Tesla has on their website. Plugz was by far the most expensive costing several hundreds of dollars more than other quotes received. Most reasonable quotes were from STS Toronto (ststoronto.com), and JML Electric (jmlelectric.ca).

Not sure if specifics are very relevant since everyone's situation is different, but those two quotes were around $1200 tax in.

I had my Tesla Wall Connector installed by Signature Electric and based on my experience, I'd highly recommend them! Clyde was super patient in answering all my questions while doing my estimate and he was extremely knowledgeable. The actual installer, Stan, did a great clean job and was also very patient in answering my questions and providing information. Out of the few other places who provided me quotes, theirs came in the lowest (not by much but still lowest). Here are the specifics:

Electrian/Company: Signature Electric; Clyde is the Engineer doing the estimate and Stan was the electrician who installed
Work Done: Added a 40 amp breaker to existing 100 amp box; ran wiring through basement ceiling into the garage (see photo)
Results: 10/10
Price Paid: Just under $1,000 + tax.
20180509_184920791_iOS.jpg 20180509_184914694_iOS.jpg

I had my Tesla Wall Connector installed by Signature Electric and based on my experience, I'd highly recommend them! Clyde was super patient in answering all my questions while doing my estimate and he was extremely knowledgeable. The actual installer, Stan, did a great clean job and was also very patient in answering my questions and providing information. Out of the few other places who provided me quotes, theirs came in the lowest (not by much but still lowest). Here are the specifics:

Electrian/Company: Signature Electric; Clyde is the Engineer doing the estimate and Stan was the electrician who installed
Work Done: Added a 40 amp breaker to existing 100 amp box; ran wiring through basement ceiling into the garage (see photo)
Results: 10/10
Price Paid: Just under $1,000 + tax.
View attachment 299980 View attachment 299981

Good info, thanks. Any issues for you with panel capacity on the 100 amp? Do you have electric stove (or stove hookup), A/C etc already on the panel? Was the inspection easy?

The ESA inspector will be coming Friday so he/she will have the final say on whether or not the config I have is acceptable. I hope it is lol.

Yeah please report back because this is my specific area of concern - one Tesla-recommended installer proposes this way for $750 while the other says I need either extra (load shedding) equipment (related to time of charging, per the 2018 electrical code) or a $5500 service upgrade to 200 amps. My third quote says service-upgrade is the only option, again at $5k+.

I have a feeling that inspector opinions, knowledge and application of the rules may vary a bit around chargers?

Yeah please report back because this is my specific area of concern - one Tesla-recommended installer proposes this way for $750 while the other says I need either extra (load shedding) equipment (related to time of charging, per the 2018 electrical code) or a $5500 service upgrade to 200 amps. My third quote says service-upgrade is the only option, again at $5k+.

I have a feeling that inspector opinions, knowledge and application of the rules may vary a bit around chargers?

From what I learned when my estimate was being prepared, it was a simple as calculating what electricity I would be using at any given time and ensuring that the usage wouldn’t exceed 100 amps, which it didn’t. Having the gas stove helped but I think I would have been good either way due to the time of day I plan on charging the car. My washer/dryer sucks the most power but that’s about it. If I did want to upgrade to 200 amps, it would have only cost me about $500-750 more from what I remembered. $5k sounds pretty steep! Give Signature a call to get another quote.

Either way, I’ll report back after ESA inspection is done.

From what I learned when my estimate was being prepared, it was a simple as calculating what electricity I would be using at any given time and ensuring that the usage wouldn’t exceed 100 amps, which it didn’t. Having the gas stove helped but I think I would have been good either way due to the time of day I plan on charging the car. My washer/dryer sucks the most power but that’s about it. If I did want to upgrade to 200 amps, it would have only cost me about $500-750 more from what I remembered. $5k sounds pretty steep! Give Signature a call to get another quote.

Either way, I’ll report back after ESA inspection is done.

I would love to know this as well. I'm in the exact situation.

And if you're quoted $500-750 for the panel upgrade, I would have jumped on that. I've been seeing $1500-2000 for a basic panel upgrade (i.e. 100 AMP to 200 AMP with no changing up of lines or digging or whatever misc things they need to do).

Quotes I've been getting for a HPWC install alone has basically been $1000. A friend of mine is paying $1500 for theirs from PLUGZ. I've heard a NEMA 14-50 install should be far less ($500?) but once you tell them it's for a car charger, it goes up to $900 or so.

Reactions: akidesir
For those in London ON, I'm in the middle of getting a service upgrade to 200amp.

Then running a 100amp rated wire (in case I get a Model S or X down the road) 85 feet to my garage (with a 60amp circut controlling it). As well, I'm adding a whole home surge protector.

All permits and ESA certification for ~$2200.

Current Electric. 5 stars on Google. Great crew.

Just an update. ESA Inspector came by this morning and everything checked out fine.
Were you given a window for ESA? I was told to be there from 8-2. I work just down the street and asked my electrician if the ESA agent could give a heads up call before comiing. I also left a note on my door with my cell number and said I'm just a few minutes away.

Never got a call, and my electrician said they got a fine for "no access". The ESA agent saw the note and said he didn't want to wait around.

If anyone is looking for an electrician to install their Tesla HPWC in the Barrie, Wasaga Beach, Midland area, I would highly recommend Ken from Krueger Electric.
He ran a 100 amp line about 20' from my current panel, set up a 100 amp sub-panel in the garage and then ran about 40' of 60 amp line to the HPWC.
Total cost $1300 (about $500 cheaper than the other quotes) and they did the job when they said they would.

Contact Info:

Ken
Krueger Electical Services
705-737-4432
[email protected]

Were you given a window for ESA? I was told to be there from 8-2. I work just down the street and asked my electrician if the ESA agent could give a heads up call before comiing. I also left a note on my door with my cell number and said I'm just a few minutes away.

Never got a call, and my electrician said they got a fine for "no access". The ESA agent saw the note and said he didn't want to wait around.

Yes, I got a 4-hour ETA window. I text messaged him on thursday to get a more narrow window and he texted me back giving me a 3-hour window. On Friday morning, he texted me saying he was a few minutes away and then he showed up.