Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended Electricians for Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had trouble picking up a Tesla charger? I’m pretty sure I remember posts where others had picked theirs up at Tesla and I know a RN is all you need for online. Tried to pick one up today at the Oakville location and was adamantly refused without at VIN. I have electricians booked to install on Wednesday so I can’t even order one via the web in time. Crazy that a RN is good enough for online but not in person.
I am not sure I would go install the charger until you have your VIN. I could be wrong but on the incentove/rebate form, it say that you have 90 days to file your charger rebate. You need to have the VIN and registration ID in order to do the charger rebate. So you might nest risk if you install the charger and your car deliver is delayed.

Someone can correct me if I am mistaken.

I am not sure I would go install the charger until you have your VIN. I could be wrong but on the incentove/rebate form, it say that you have 90 days to file your charger rebate. You need to have the VIN and registration ID in order to do the charger rebate. So you might nest risk if you install the charger and your car deliver is delayed.

Someone can correct me if I am mistaken.
You have 90 days from the date on the inspection certificate to file for your rebate for the charger. I've installed mine, just delaying the ESA inspection a bit until I know when the car is expected to arrive. Then I plan to have it inspected the week before I pick up the car, and then file both rebate forms before I leave the pick up location...I have already started pre-filling them and gather the files together so I'm all ready.

I used "The Electrical Works Limited". Wayne Lewis came to my house (in Brampton) and gave an estimate.
I have a 100 Amp service and had a 60 Amp breaker installed (to provide the Max 48A to the Model 3). I have a gas stove and dryer.

Wayne did warn me that there was a possibility that the inspector would have a problem with the load. He suggested that I download my hourly electrical use over the past year (from my electricity provider) and I found that my peak use was well below the load max for the panel (even with the 48A charger).

The run from the panel to the garage was about 40 feet. Final price was $1370 after tax. The installation took about 4 hours and the electrician was very thorough. The inspector did his own calculation with the download file and confirmed that peak use was well below 100A. The install was certified.

I would highly recommend the company. Good experience all around (and since they did a site visit before giving the estimate I knew that there would be no surprises).

Now all I have to do is wait for the car to arrive (hopefully sooner than later).

Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
I used "The Electrical Works Limited". Wayne Lewis came to my house (in Brampton) and gave an estimate.
I have a 100 Amp service and had a 60 Amp breaker installed (to provide the Max 48A to the Model 3). I have a gas stove and dryer.

Wayne did warn me that there was a possibility that the inspector would have a problem with the load. He suggested that I download my hourly electrical use over the past year (from my electricity provider) and I found that my peak use was well below the load max for the panel (even with the 48A charger).

The run from the panel to the garage was about 40 feet. Final price was $1370 after tax. The installation took about 4 hours and the electrician was very thorough. The inspector did his own calculation with the download file and confirmed that peak use was well below 100A. The install was certified.

I would highly recommend the company. Good experience all around (and since they did a site visit before giving the estimate I knew that there would be no surprises).

Now all I have to do is wait for the car to arrive (hopefully sooner than later).
Interesting that they will accept historical load (at least in some cases). I will check my history too...

I obtained quotes from the following electricians recommended from the Tesla webpage for the installation of the HPWC charger (in no particular order):

AA Carter Electric Ltd
Rand Electric
Plugz
Lawson Electric
Mandi Electric Inc.
Electrical Works Ltd.
EVdirect

Decided to go with Plugz because they performed an onsite visit vs others that only required me to take pictures. Plugz also provided me the 2nd cheapest rate and from my understanding, over 90% of their work is to install EV chargers.

The installation required digging of a 18 inch trench because I have a detached garage. The run from the panel to the garage and through the trench was over 80" long. Total installation time was around 4 - 5 hours. ESA will be inspecting May 15th.

Overall good experience with Plugz. Conversation with Jason shows his knowledge with Tesla and it was apparent that he and his team has installed many HPWC .

I obtained quotes from the following electricians recommended from the Tesla webpage for the installation of the HPWC charger (in no particular order):

AA Carter Electric Ltd
Rand Electric
Plugz
Lawson Electric
Mandi Electric Inc.
Electrical Works Ltd.
EVdirect

Decided to go with Plugz because they performed an onsite visit vs others that only required me to take pictures. Plugz also provided me the 2nd cheapest rate and from my understanding, over 90% of their work is to install EV chargers.

The installation required digging of a 18 inch trench because I have a detached garage. The run from the panel to the garage and through the trench was over 80" long. Total installation time was around 4 - 5 hours. ESA will be inspecting May 15th.

Overall good experience with Plugz. Conversation with Jason shows his knowledge with Tesla and it was apparent that he and his team has installed many HPWC .

Thanks for the recommendations. What was the cost?

For anyone that has ordered the HPWC online, when/how did you get the invoice issued by the Lawrence store? I just received mine and it only had a packing slip, no invoice/receipt in the box anywhere I can see. Thanks

Had my HPWC install completed mere minutes ago. They ran cable from garage to panel in the basement and replaced some breakers with tandems to make room. I'm in Burlington, ON and used Calibre Electric. Paid a little over $1k and I couldn't be happier with the work they did. It was nice to be here to discuss the cable routing collaboratively.

Reactions: akidesir
Had my HPWC install completed mere minutes ago. They ran cable from garage to panel in the basement and replaced some breakers with tandems to make room. I'm in Burlington, ON and used Calibre Electric. Paid a little over $1k and I couldn't be happier with the work they did. It was nice to be here to discuss the cable routing collaboratively.
I don’t see them on the list. Are they a recommended installer?

Will give a more thorough review when the ESA inspection is done, but I'm glad I was here during the install.

I'm getting a 100A subpanel put in 35ft from my 200A main. Then a 60A line to the HPWC.
The quote was for aluminum from the main, and copper to the HPWC. They showed up with aluminum for both. I asked about it and double checked, are you sure you can run aluminum to the HPWC? Are the HPWC contacts rated for aluminum? They said it shouldn't be a problem.

A couple hours later as they were packing up, I happened to stumble upon the part in the manual that says "Use only copper conductors". After reading this, they agreed and are now running a new line between the subpanel and HPWC.

Sigh.

So to give more details, I went with a company called Jones Electric from Kitchener. I believe they said this was their first charger install. That didn't bother me since most of the work was running lines and installing a sub panel. They were really friendly and were quick to work out any problems. One thing that I noticed was that other companies made a big deal over a sunken living room. It makes for a bit of an awkward transition on the ceiling below. The electicians here said it wouldn't be a problem, and it really wasn't.

My only concern with them was that they actually attempted to use aluminum wire to connect to the HPWC when the Tesla manual specifically says to use copper. I guess that's where their price saving came from. But.. if this the first time working with a piece of hardware, they should read the specs.

All said and done, their final invoice was for less than the quote and they owned up to the mistakes they made with no arguments or complainsts.

My installation joy has been temporarily dampened. ESA inspector wouldn't pass me for a number of reasons. The only one related to the EV is load calculations - he wouldn't sign off on the total possible load even though my stove is gas. He also discovered a couple of issues that would have been present since the original install when the house was built - totally unrelated to the EV but now I have to correct all these things and either set my HPWC to a lower setting or upgrade my service. I have 100A service today but 200A to the meter so it would involve a new panel and wire for me. My costs will likely double. In the end I'll come out with a safer install but my advice is to be prepared for extra possible costs like this.