TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recommended Electricians in Howard County?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by djwang2000, Jan 28, 2013.

1. djwang2000

djwang2000 Member

We've had a lot of problems finding an electrician to wire for the HPWC. Solar city set up 2 phone "consultations" but never called us. We've talked with 3 electrical contractors, but after sending them the information from Tesla, they have yet to get back to us. Does anyone have suggestions for electricians in MD?

Thanks!

2. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

This won't be very helpful, but we're using Solar City. I don't know if we were just lucky . . . or if they were more responsive to us because we were also interested in solar power. But the first visit was just about the HPWC, once it happened.

It did take a while to schedule things--it sounds like they're very busy but starting to get through some backlog. We first got in touch with them via Tesla (the finalizing stuff), but it looks like it was almost a month before our first call. I thought they'd be better now. Anyway, my initial contact was with Joseph Maushart, Senior Energy Consultant (650.963.4763) [email protected]. You might want to try calling him at him (feel free to say I sent ya!). Although if they gave you anyone else's contact info, try calling that person's cell instead. But I'm guessing you don't even have a person to call.....?

Anyway, again, sorry if this is not helpful at all, but I figured if nothing else, maybe putting you in touch with our consultant would help if you have a different one who's unresponsive. If not helpful, sorry!

3. Dysong1

Dysong1 Member

I live in HC and had a nema 14-50, 240V outlet installed by Alec at Residential Electric Solutions. ([email protected]). Nice people. Cost me 795 for hooking up to panel, running conduit and wiring up from basement into garage and over top of 2 garage doors to opposite wall. I also paid them 275 to get county permit just to be on the safe side. They came out on a Sunday to do it.

4. djwang2000

djwang2000 Member

To close the loop - we ended up using solar city. Despite being quite annoyed by the lack of callbacks initially, they clearly were the most clear on what needed to be done (including the whole temporary NEMA 6-50 / HPWC swap). Once we did make contact (the week before the car was to be delivered), they were expedient in getting out to us, doing the installation, etc. And they were professional and did a good job. I talked to 4 other electricians and all of them needed to study the Tesla documents then called me with all sorts of questions (all I could think was "I'm not an electrician"). In the end, I'm quite satisfied with Solar City.

5. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

I'm glad Solar City was able to install your HPWC. I also live in Howard County and know an electrician in the area who is very experienced in commercial and residential EVSE installations. I have a friend in Maryland who has his car but is still awaiting delivery of his HPWC. Are you charging at 20 kW?