Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended EV chargers in UK ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi mates, I’m scheduled to buy a Tesla in the coming months. I live in the UK (Newcastle) and wanted to know what most of you Tesla owners are using for your chargers.

Do you have any suggestions as to which is better in terms of cost, reliability, custom service etc & how I can get started with installing them (electricians help?)

I thought a PEN Fault Device is required regardless if the charger is inside or out, if on an PME (TN-C-S) earthing system? I have seen internal garage installs with a Matt:e device.

I could be wrong of course. It would be interesting to know for sure.
See here and attached link (relative info about halfway down on the right)

Attachments

• Ev point.pdf
    94.4 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
See here and attached link (relative info about halfway down on the right)

It states the following on that website (bottom right):

'So, if your charging equipment is located indoors – an integral garage - with a tethered non-extending cable that only allows the vehicle to be charged inside, then the PME earth can be used without the need for a separate earth pit.'

I take from that, if its an integral garage where the charging cable can reach outside or a detached garage (regardless if the cable and reach outside or not) then you required to have PEN fault detection device.

I think I read that correctly 😂

Bit mix and match.

Reactions: 73henny
Upvote 0
It states the following on that website (bottom right):

'So, if your charging equipment is located indoors – an integral garage - with a tethered non-extending cable that only allows the vehicle to be charged inside, then the PME earth can be used without the need for a separate earth pit.'

I take from that, if its an integral garage where the charging cable can reach outside or a detached garage (regardless if the cable and reach outside or not) then you required to have PEN fault detection device.

I think I read that correctly 😂

Bit mix and match.
Yes thats it. Integral garage and connector located where the car can only be charged inside is the only time you don't need a earth rod or PEN device. Makes sense as the car is essentially no different to the metal clad light switch or socket a garage will likely have.

Reactions: Darreno
Upvote 0