Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended NEMA 14-50 installer in the Snohomish area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have recommendations about licensed electricians/companies that can install a NEMA 14-50 in Seattle (I am in Snohomish county) area? Got one quote for $1,100 for just the outlet install which is only about 3-ft from the panel. This will be used to hook up the UMC for a Model S 75D.

You can legally do this yourself if you own the property, and if you're reading this forum, you probably have the skills and knowledge, just not the experience. You just can't work on someone else home if you're not a licensed electrician.

Out of pocket costs might be under $100. Cosmetics (paint and dry-wall repair) would be extra, but I'm sure those electricians didn't include that in their quotes.

It just has to be up to code, and have a permit. And to be frank when you go to sell your home, is an inspector going to verify that a permit was obtained for a garage outlet? Unlikely, but do be safe.

I have installed EV chargers twice in my home, first a L-2 J1772 32-Amp based unit for my first EV (a 2015 LEAF) that PSE paid for, then in 2019 a Tesla HPWC (that Tesla paid for - long-story) in the same spot for a M3LR, but with upgraded wiring and breaker rating due to 48A max current.

The other thing you can do is see what kind of dryer outlet you have and whether it is close enough to the garage to use. Not ideal, but I have done this temporarily when at Airbnb properties with properly-rated adaptors/extension cord.

If you want to know more I would be happy to discuss with you. Not sure how messaging works on the new TMC web site.

Reactions: james2441139
You can legally do this yourself if you own the property, and if you're reading this forum, you probably have the skills and knowledge, just not the experience. You just can't work on someone else home if you're not a licensed electrician.

Out of pocket costs might be under $100. Cosmetics (paint and dry-wall repair) would be extra, but I'm sure those electricians didn't include that in their quotes.

It just has to be up to code, and have a permit. And to be frank when you go to sell your home, is an inspector going to verify that a permit was obtained for a garage outlet? Unlikely, but do be safe.

I have installed EV chargers twice in my home, first a L-2 J1772 32-Amp based unit for my first EV (a 2015 LEAF) that PSE paid for, then in 2019 a Tesla HPWC (that Tesla paid for - long-story) in the same spot for a M3LR, but with upgraded wiring and breaker rating due to 48A max current.

The other thing you can do is see what kind of dryer outlet you have and whether it is close enough to the garage to use. Not ideal, but I have done this temporarily when at Airbnb properties with properly-rated adaptors/extension cord.

If you want to know more I would be happy to discuss with you. Not sure how messaging works on the new TMC web site.
Thanks much. I sent you a PM.

I was wondering if we can re-use an existing panel breakers. I have a 60amp break (a pair of 30amps) installed which run to a socket in my dryer room. But I not have gas dryers and so no longer use it. This would reduce the headache of verifying if my panel can support new 60amp breakers and also make the scoket install simpler :)

Reactions: james2441139
I have a 60amp break (a pair of 30amps) installed which run to a socket in my dryer room.
That is not a 60A breaker. That is a double pole 30A breaker, which means it is a 240V circuit, rather than a 120V circuit. It is double the voltage, but you don't add the numbers together for double the current. Electric clothes dryers use 240V 30A circuits.

But I not have gas dryers and so no longer use it. This would reduce the headache of verifying if my panel can support new 60amp breakers and also make the scoket install simpler
Then yes, that breaker space is unused. You can disconnect that outlet and use that space for your new circuit. But newer electric code (2017 version and newer) requires that outlets being installed for EV charging need to use GFCI breakers, rather than normal breakers. So you couldn't reuse that one if you are putting in an outlet. However, hardwired EV charging devices, like the wall connector do not have that requirement, so they can use normal breakers, so you could reuse that 30A for that if you want.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9