Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

recommended parts for temporary 14-50 receptacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I'm in discussions with a representative of The Ridge Motorsports Park about installing a temporary 14-50 receptacle. The recommendation from this representative was to bring 20' of length of wire and, of course, the receptacle itself.

I'd prefer to error on the side of overly cautious on wire gauge, etc. unless it's 5x the cost.

I'll likely just ship direct to them via Amazon, or pick up the parts myself from Home Depot.

Recommendations? Any other warnings, advice, or guidance that I should be aware of or that I should pass along to them?

Thanks.

Not sure, but it sounds like they want their end to be bare wire to connect into their system. If that is the case, then suggest the following:

Receptacle - Amazon.com: Camco® PowerGrip™ Replacement Receptacle Female: Automotive

Wire - 6 4 SOOW So Cord per Foot USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire Cable | eBay

If, OTOH, they want a 14-50 extension cord, several available at Amazon.

Edit: You can save 30¢ a foot on the wire by going 6/3 instrad of 6/4, as the Tesla doesn't need neutral, but that is not recommended if the source is four wire. If the source is just two hots and ground, then there must be safeguards to make sure an RV doesn't get plugged into the 14-50 socket.

Last edited:
When it came to NEMA 14-50 parts, I think I spent about $20 for a box, cover plate and the receptacle itself at Lowes (Home Depot would probably be about the same). I don't have the receipt anymore, but the romex cost me about $3.50 per foot for 6/3 cable (6 gauge is needed for a 20 foot run). Assuming they already have a 50 amp breaker (if not, cost will vary depending on the circuit breaker box brand), the total cost will be about $90. Will the cable be going through a wall, or is the plan to run it outside straight from the CB box? Standard romex is not rated for exterior use and needs to be shielded to technically meet code. Unshielded will still work for a temporary install, but you should make sure it's not in any risk of getting damaged. If anything bad happens and it's discovered this does not meet code, things will only get worse.

Here's a list with links assuming this is a temporary or in-wall installation using parts at Home Depot:

14-50 receptacle $8.89
Leviton 50 Amp Nylon Power Single Outlet - Black-R50-00279-000 at The Home Depot

metal box $5.36
Steel City 2-Gang Square Device Wall Box-2G4D1234-10R at The Home Depot

Cover plate $2.48
Pass & Seymour 2 Gang Power Outlet Wall Plate - Stainless Steel-SL703CC12 at The Home Depot

2x 1/2 inch clamp for box above and CB box $1.60 (may have to use 3/4 inch depending on cable size)
Halex 1-1/2 in. Twin Screw Non-Metallic Sheathed Cable Clamp Connectors-05115 at The Home Depot

Cable: 6/3 NM-B which is 3 conductor (plus ground) 6 gauge wire. Bulk cable that can be purchased per foot doesn't appear to be listed on their web site.

As Bill mentions, you can go cheaper with the wire and get 6/2 which is missing the neutral and then use a NEMA 6-50 outlets. The only drawback is you'll need the 6-50 adapter from Tesla which is $45. So unless you need to go a really long distance with the wiring, it may have a greater total cost.