TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

recommended power inverter

Discussion in 'Model X' started by chloedog, Jun 25, 2016.

1. chloedog

chloedog Member

what kind of power inverters are people using with the model x and recommend? any that are unsafe to use?

2. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I have one but never hooked to my MX. Before I'd hook my small guitar amp to it from Toyoto Sequoia, and play outdoors.

What is your purpose for AC?

3. chloedog

chloedog Member

Air mattress pumps and laptop charging mainly.

4. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

If MX spec's don't include power ratings for cigarette lighter output, you should ask them to be sure.

5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Your limitation will be the 12V port. Ownership said it could handle up to 15A/180W but fortunately also included the relevant manual page, which clearly sez the 15A/180W is peak only. Iirc, 11A and 160W were the continuous numbers. Anyway, it's in the manual.

Would recommend a 12V adapter for your laptop. Got one for a MacBook Pro via Amazon and it works great. Less loss, too.

So that leaves the air mattress pump. Check the specs for a 400W and 800W inverter. A 400W will probably work fine.

• Informative x 1
  6. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Ditto on buying 12V adapters. Inverters use a LOT more power, can overload 12V circuits, and generate more heat.

We have 12V adapters for our MacBook and MacBook Pro laptops and even a 32" Jensen LED HDTV in our RV that uses 12V power instead of using an inverter. Power consumption is king in our RV with just 232Ah of "house" battery... which is why we added a 327W SunPower E20 solar panel to it.

• Helpful x 1