Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended PPF installer in So Cal? (West side)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I got some damage to the front bumper of my car. It looks like a rock hit it and I am 99% sure it cut through the PPF. I am hoping it didn't damage the paint but I think that might be too optimistic. I didn't feel it happen and it happened today because I just washed her last night. I am a little hesitant to hit it with QD to see how well it cleans up because I don't want to put liquid into the apparent cut. @mobilesuit818 do you know what Doug's policy is on this?
View attachment 327509

View attachment 327510

That's terrible!!! That looks as if it was flying towards you. Hopefully it's just the PPF that was damage. Please keep us informed as to how Doug handles this.

Does anyone have a picture of the luggage strip ppf? I had mine done, but I have a hard time seeing if it's actually there (if there's seams etc). Either they're really good in the application or it's not on there. Just want to double check before my follow up appointment this weekend! TIA

Does anyone have a picture of the luggage strip ppf? I had mine done, but I have a hard time seeing if it's actually there (if there's seams etc). Either they're really good in the application or it's not on there. Just want to double check before my follow up appointment this weekend! TIA
Mine is clear as day. I'll try to photo later.

Reactions: ericbs
So it is cut. It's not a big cut/hole, but it is now "snaggy" and dragging a towel across it sucks. The photos that are close-up make it look bigger, which is why I show 2....I'll send the photos to Doug and let you guys know....Here's the after QD clean up photos:

IMG_20180821_104611.jpg

IMG_20180821_104426c.jpg

It's not my place to say what Doug will do. I don't think he "owes" me anything. I'm hoping I have partnered with someone who will find a way to replace the bumper PPF at a lower cost to me than if it was a from scratch application on a new vehicle/customer. I don't suspect this happens a lot (but it certainly does happen) and for him to find a gracious solution will make me happy and will only bring him additional business IMO. BTW, He's already replied to my email with "WOW!!" and asked me to bring it by to figure out what the options are.

My assumption is this is user induced wear and tear (albeit bad luck), but Doug is by no means required to address it. If he does, it would be above and beyond any expectation. Am I wrong?

I don't think anyone is expecting to have Doug swap it out . I think we all want to know what the process is and what options are available in case that were to occur to any one of us.

Ouch!! Good thing it didn’t happen to your windshield.

Did it go thru the paint?

It’s doesn’t look like it did...

Hit up Doug for sure, as he will always make the customer happy...

Be sure to post pics of pre and post repairs...

Unfortunately I got some damage to the front bumper of my car. It looks like a rock hit it and I am 99% sure it cut through the PPF. I am hoping it didn't damage the paint but I think that might be too optimistic. I didn't feel it happen and it happened today because I just washed her last night. I am a little hesitant to hit it with QD to see how well it cleans up because I don't want to put liquid into the apparent cut. @mobilesuit818 do you know what Doug's policy is on this?
View attachment 327509

View attachment 327510

I had originally planned to do all this work with Doug and had called to make an appointment and also paid my (hefty) 50% deposit to hold my place in line for the full work (front PPF, full tint, ceramic coat) and was going to do the work in late October.

As fate would have it, my wife got her dream job and we're moving next week way out of SoCal so there would be no way to do the work with Doug anymore. I called to get a refund and he was nice enough to "process" it but it's been close to 2 weeks now with no refund on my credit card.

I called him to check on the status and said: "that's weird, I'll call Chase and then call you with an update"

I never got an update. That was 3 days ago. I plan to call him again today or tomorrow to follow up and I'll reply to this post. Only posting this as a heads up to anyone else in my boat.

It's not my place to say what Doug will do. I don't think he "owes" me anything. I'm hoping I have partnered with someone who will find a way to replace the bumper PPF at a lower cost to me than if it was a from scratch application on a new vehicle/customer. I don't suspect this happens a lot (but it certainly does happen) and for him to find a gracious solution will make me happy and will only bring him additional business IMO. BTW, He's already replied to my email with "WOW!!" and asked me to bring it by to figure out what the options are.

Personally I wouldn't bother replacing the PPF until it sustains more damage - which WILL happen, it's only a matter of time. I doubt it's even noticeable from a few feet away.

Personally I wouldn't bother replacing the PPF until it sustains more damage - which WILL happen, it's only a matter of time. I doubt it's even noticeable from a few feet away.
It isn't too noticeable (except to me). It's really "snaggy" and will make drying the front bumper irritating. It will also start to collect dirt over time. I need to discuss my options with Doug and these concerns. I also don't know if it damaged the paint yet either.

@Rosalind, will do.

Tell me if this is a dumb idea. I would just put a patch of PPF on top, overlapping the damage with a margin, just to protect from further damage. I know it would look like crap, but it would be kind of functional. Whaddya think?
I wondered about this too. I suspect PPF won't stick to PPF as well as clearcoat. The patch perimeter would then gather dirt fairly quickly....me thinks. Doug should help with options

I had originally planned to do all this work with Doug and had called to make an appointment and also paid my (hefty) 50% deposit to hold my place in line for the full work (front PPF, full tint, ceramic coat) and was going to do the work in late October.

As fate would have it, my wife got her dream job and we're moving next week way out of SoCal so there would be no way to do the work with Doug anymore. I called to get a refund and he was nice enough to "process" it but it's been close to 2 weeks now with no refund on my credit card.

I called him to check on the status and said: "that's weird, I'll call Chase and then call you with an update"

I never got an update. That was 3 days ago. I plan to call him again today or tomorrow to follow up and I'll reply to this post. Only posting this as a heads up to anyone else in my boat.

Hey guacamaya,

Any status update on this? Curious as well since it is a refundable deposit.