TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recommended tires M3 Long Range, RWD

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by 2017ModS, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 2017ModS

2017ModS Member

Hi, our M3 LR RWD has 25K miles and tires are wearing out. Can anyone recommend all season (non-winter,etc) tires for general commuting purposes in SoCal? We have the standard 18" wheels. The OEM tires at Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/4R18. I'm not particularly overwhelmed by these tires and the cost is much higher than others. Would be nice to get set of tires with warranty as well. I've look at the Pirelli Cinturato P7 but those are not 98H rated, only 94H.
    Thanks!

2. eastpointvet

eastpointvet Member

I have the same question. Im at about the same mileage and had my tires replaced but if this set wears out that quickly i will definitely want something else.

3. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

The original tires are 235 / 45 R18. I plan to run all season tires in the winter, on the OEM wheels, and I will likely go to 245 / 45 R18 for the next set. The 235s look stretched, which is not to my taste, and they leave the rims exposed such that curbing them is guaranteed. 245s should look and protect the rim better, have a bit more grip and, at least at the tire rack, they are cheaper and there are a lot more of them to choose from ( 4 times more choice).

From past experience, I’d probably get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the sportier end or the Continental DWS for a more refined/comfortable ride (softer sidewall = sloppy cornering though). I had the Cinturato P7 and thought they were OK but not special at all. They also got horribly noisy as they wore down. I’m running the P Zero A/S Plus on my SUVs and it’s a very good choice for a year-round tire. Its weakest characteristic is the less than stellar wet grip (get the DWS for that), but that’s not critical in SoCal.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. kwest2

kwest2 Member

I live in Boston and have always found the Continental DWS09 to be a great all-round tire for all season.

5. ap105

ap105 Member

I'll 2nd.. I had these for my Toyota Avalon before the Model 3. It made the Avalon feel "new" / could tell the difference. - def gonna try them out whenever I need to get new tires.

6. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Why would you want an all-season in SoCal?

All-seasons suck- in all seasons.

Above 40 degrees they're inferior to summer tires, and below freezing they're inferior to winter tires.

San Diego average low temps are 49-50 in the dead of winter.

Get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, the best street summer performance tire on the market, and call it a day

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. eastpointvet

eastpointvet Member

And what size would you get if you on the aero wheels

8. Probllama

Probllama Member

Your range will be reduced with those tires though, stickier rubber means more rolling resistance. Plus summer tires also tend to be louder than all-seasons if noise is a concern for OP...

• Like x 1
  9. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

So would your braking distance in an emergency stop- by a lot. Which is a lot more important to me than range (and I'd hope to most people)

That's a hugely YMMV situation, I can think of plenty of summers that rate better than all seasons for noise, and vice versa.... for example Michelins own A/S 3+ is often considered the 'best' all season for performance, vaguely approaching the summer king PS4S in that regard, the one knock on the all season being that it's louder.

Given we know the model 3 isn't traction limited on acceleration probably stick with 235/45-18s

• Like x 1
  10. David L

David L Member

The 45k mile warranty is valid on the Michelin tires that came with the car, so assuming you meet the requirements (regular rotation, even wear, etc.), the cost of replacements may be less than you think. I don't believe the replacement set, however, would be eligible for the mileage warranty.

11. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Huh? :confused:

12. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Could be that OP takes road trips to where they're needed. I'd rather take the bus than drive a single snowy mile with summer tires.

• Like x 1
  13. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

I also vote for PS4S. Hardly any noisier than the MXM4's and way stickier in both dry and wet conditions. If you need to go to the snow then it sounds like the Crossclimate+ have decent all around performance. If you want an efficient, probably unsafe tire then Ecopias are the way to go.

• Love x 1
  14. miimura

miimura Active Member

If you are disappointed that they are wearing out at 25k miles, then maybe you want something with a higher tread life rating.
    The Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 has a 560 treadlife while the factory tires are 500. The DWS is not Eco rated, so your range may suffer slightly. DWS is about $100 cheaper per tire as well.

Tire Rack - Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Size: 235/45ZR18

15. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

If I wanted AS I think Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is what I would get too, for a little upgrade. I think the MXM4's are pretty good too though, if you want to keep the acoustic foam.

Does having 2 sets of wheels void your warranty? Trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my stock wheels and tires. Just did the first rotation at 6k miles the rear's had less tread than the fronts.

16. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Seems I saw a bunch of Model S vehicles with staggard wheels, yet I have not heard ANYONE putting them on their Model 3. Some 10" wide wheels should fit on the back, and I can keep my Aero rims for Snow tires. Am I the only one who wants to treat my 3 as a cheap S that doesn't overheat when racing?

-Randy

17. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Has anyone got a quote on the cost to get a replacement set of the OEM Michelin tires? Do you have to buy them from Tesla or do the tire stores sell them?

It would be helpful if we eventually see some data on how alternate tires may affect range, noise, grip, etc. At the moment there isn’t much data out there, presumably because the car hasn’t been out long enough for that many people to need replacements.

18. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Not sure if you can even get them at Tesla anymore. Especially disappointed that there is no option anymore for the 18" or 19" non-Winter tires

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 8.33.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 8.32.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 8.33.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 8.33.30 PM.png

All options sold out

-Randy

19. smjbh5

smjbh5 Member

I have the 19s on my rwd, and the orginal continentals are wearing out fast. I have 10k miles and I probably have another 5k left on them. Whats a good replacement for those? The pilots?

20. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

Mountains. Snow. Very close. Very deep.

fullsizeoutput_9c88.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9c88.jpeg

• Like x 3