TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recommended tires M3 Long Range, RWD

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by 2017ModS, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

I have the same car as the OP. I just put Pirelli P Zero Neros on mine. Summer tire only. I really like them so far. They handle better than stock & ride just as well if not better. To my ear, they seem quieter (very subjective). Great in the rain too.

There's no mileage warranty but they had roughly half or better tread left on my wife's Infiniti when we sold it after around 20k miles (same tire).

Not sure about range yet but I expect them to not be quite as good as stock. I also run the rears at 38psi and the fronts at 42 which will hurt the range. I had really bad center wear on the stock rear tires so I'm going with lower pressure this time to hopefully make them last longer.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

I've seen a few folks with staggered on a 3 for looks- but since they're functionally inferior, especially on an AWD vehicle, I think most "racing" folks have avoided them, the 3 being a better car for that purpose.

3. Brentt

Brentt Member

Do any of the aftermarket tires come with foam inside, like the stock factory ones?

4. afadeev

afadeev Member

And you will be very stuck in it on all-season tires.

If you actually need to drive in the snow, get snow tires.
    If you don't, get summer tires.

All-seasons are a compromise, by design, and will be sub-optimal in both summer and winter environments!

a

5. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

Just surveying all the tires available at Tire Rack in the factory 18" Model 3 size and load range, only the OEM Michelin MXM4 and a new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 with a Tesla OEM code are shown to have Acoustic treatment. Those are the two most expensive tires in that size with a proper load rating for the Model 3.

In the 19" size, there is a Continental PremiumContact 6 Volvo OEM tire with ContiSilent acoustic treatment in addition to the Tesla OEM ProContact RX ContiSilent.

6. afadeev

afadeev Member

Personally, I would not pay a $+1 more for the foam.
    It adds weight to the tires, makes car fractionally less responsive, and adds tons of cost.
    My replacement set of tires will either be straight up Michelin 4S's (saving $184 / set), Pilot Super Sports (PSS are $221 set cheaper), or Bridgeston S007A's ($516 / set cheaper).

Don't worry about load ratings.
    All performance tires in this size will have plenty of load and speed rating to spare.

235/40-19 size is a more common and popular with many automakers, but the real motherload opens up when you got 10mm wide to 245/40-19 tires.

Your choices get wider and cheaper in 245/40-19 size. Not to mention that Bridgestone RE71R's are available in that size.

For example:
    245/40-19 4S's will run $1,083.96 / set
    235/40-19 4S's will run $1,103.96 / set in 19" size
    235/35-20 4S's will run $1,295.96 for 20" regular set
    235/35-20 4S's will ran $1,383.96 for 20" set with Tesla foam

Have fun shopping:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=07901&width=245/&ratio=40&diameter=19&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

a

7. miimura

I was just answering the question. I don't actually advocate for the acoustic foam.

However, people have to carefully consider what they want from a tire when they deviate from the OEM tires. Personally, I live in a very temperate climate (Silicon Valley California) and the OEM tires have plenty of traction for my needs. Since I have a LR RWD Model 3, the rear tires wear noticeably faster than the fronts, so I rotate them every 6,000 miles. I am primarily concerned with tread life and rolling resistance. So, if you filter the 18" Model 3 factory size for Eco Focus on Tire Rack, you only get 5 choices. Among them, only the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S looks appealing to me. They are about $60 less per tire than the OEM MXM4's and they have a slightly higher treadwear rating at 540 vs. 500 on the MXM4's.

8. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

Plenty of people running staggered setups on the 3. Here are a couple of threads on the topic.

Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3

Vendor - Official Signature Wheel Gallery | Fitment Q&A Thread

9. afadeev

afadeev Member

Fair point.

Virtually all cars sold in the US have more traction and handling capabilities than 99.5% of the drivers have the skills to reach and challenge. Nevertheless, having a tire with greater traction would allow even a novice driver to stop in a shorter distance, or execute an emergency change maneuver faster, and with greater precision. All of those factors add to a greater safety and performance margin, though usually, for a premium price.

I can see how to many of the general public that trade-off is foolish - why pay more for tiers that don't last as long.
    In fact, many folks here will gladly pay more for slicker tires that offer lower rolling resistance and energy consumption at the expense of longer stopping distances.

To me, it's a no brainier, as greater tire traction buys me an extra margin of error to out brake and out maneuver an accident waiting to happen.

Alas, I do recognize how that may not be everyone's preference.
    To each, his own.

YMMV,
    a

10. miimura

Since you're in the Northeast, you need proper winter tires. If I was in that situation, I would be inclined to have two full sets of tires and wheels for each car. I would also buy Summer tires instead of All Season tires as soon as the factory tires were worn out. When you're only using your Summer tires for 1/2 to 2/3 of the year, shorter treadlife is more acceptable. However, being in California, we just use All Season tires and take "chains" when we go to the mountains.

• Like x 1
  11. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

This tire only came out in late March, 2019, but is anybody eyeballing the Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack? If it lives up to it's billing, it meats my needs for quiet and smooth ride. The only problem is that so far it doesn't appear that Bridgestone is making the size for the Model 3. Boooooooo!!!!!

• Like x 1
  12. DubbleDude

DubbleDude New Member

Very disappointing that the Bridgestone QuietTrack aren't made in the 235/45/R18. I just replaced my rear tires after 35,000 kms. (22,000 miles) Bald as Bruce Willis. But I foolishly didn't rotate them, so I'll take some blame.

Either way it looks like us LR RWD folks will be buying a ton of tires.

I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 235/45-18 XL 98Y. First impression was they are definitely louder than my old MXM's and I only have them on the back, I can just imagine if they were on the front where you really notice sound.

But my wife has these tires on her car and we were clobbered last winter and they performed like real snow tires. Just amazing, I couldn't get stuck if I tried.

• Like x 1
  13. vadim

vadim New Member

That's what I have been using on all my BMWs prior, and now on TM3SR+. Compared to other tire brands/models, the PS4S offers the widest tread for similar sizes.

14. David L

David L Member

Has anyone installed the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus? They're rated almost the same as the A/S 3+ by Consumer Reports and I find the better noise performance especially appealing. I'd love to hear feedback on how the 18" ones compare to both the A/S 3+ and OEM MXMs on noise and efficiency.

15. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

I’ve gone through 4 sets of those and currently have them on two cars. It’s a very well balanced tire (in the metaphorical sense); I would classify it as very good at most everything, while being the absolute best at nothing. It has a supportive sidewall, which makes cornering quite satisfying, even though they do not provide the highest level of cornering grip. In this respect, I much prefer them to the MMX (their sidewall collapses in a most unsatisfying way under cornering, despite otherwise being rather firm). I also find the Pirellis predictable when they start to slide. Road noise is good, not quite as muted as say a new DWS, but they also don’t rumble a lot more when worn. I’ve also driven on them in a serious snowstorm; pretty decent for an all-season and, as far as I could tell, no worse than other M+S all seasons.

It’s been a while since I’ve had the AS3, but I liked them a lot. A bit more harsh then the Pirellis perhaps but with very good grip. For year-round giggles on above-US-average tarmac, I’d get the AS3. For about the same performance and a bit more comfort, without the roly-poly feel, I’d get the Pirellis again. The MMX should be relegated to Prius duty in dry locations with flat terrain.

• Informative x 1
  16. kiNGng3

kiNGng3 Member

I second the DWS06's because I've run those tires religiously on multiple cars. I currently have them on the Model 3 on 19" staggered 245 front and 275 rears. They are nice.

17. Ryefry

Ryefry Member

If I was in the Tesla Motherland of California, I would buy someones almost new 18" wheel/tire take off's which seem to be everywhere there. $800-$1000 seems to be the going price. Sell you old wheels/tires for $200-$250 each for people who damage or want spares and bam, new set of wheels and tires for free.

18. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

The DWS is a very different tire to those considered by the OP, it's more of a comfort tire, not too great when cornering.
    I ran 2 sets of those on a Q7 and have not experienced longer tread life vs the Pirellis.

19. tnots

tnots Member

I just had the A/S 3+ put on our LR AWD and they feel miles above better than the MXM4, terrific in rain as well.