TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recommended tires M3 Long Range, RWD

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by 2017ModS, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

This comment goes for anyone in this thread. If you need to replace your first set of Michelin MXM4's, go to a Michelin approved dealer like Discount Tire or another store and they can prorate the discount on the tire warranty. My Michelin cross climate new set was $513 out the door and I got a 60% discount on replacing them at 17k miles. Those tires would have cost $1100+ without the warranty. The only major stipulation is that you need to repalce with new Michelin tires.

I saw a mention on cross climate's above, and they are better on traction and weather than the MXM4's, but they do seem to be less efficient on that front. I did a 4077 mile road trip on them over the Christmas holidays and overall had no issues, but my average was 315 wh/m for my entire trip. I did not have any issues with noise on mine. They seem about equal on that front, just some surfaces are louder than others.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. rideincircles

rideincircles Member

I just went in and had the employee at Discount review the warranty materials for Michelin and then they prorated it and ordered my tires. I did not call at all, just showed up and had them look into what they can do there. That was last month when I got them replaced.

• Love x 1
  3. tinkererguy

tinkererguy Paul Braren TinkerTry.com/Tesla

@rideincircles, you were right, thank you for the tip, you saved me $207! At least you will, once the check (hopefully) arrives from Michelin. I've detailed the experience with getting CrossClimate+ tires for my Model 3 LR AWD here, and for the one surface I tested on so far, they are very slightly quieter, which I tried to measure here.
    featured.png

4. echeeyo

echeeyo Member

I just replaced my 19” Continentals with Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate tires. They are Ultra High Performance All-Seasons and have a slightly higher tread wear rating of UTQG: 500 AA A compared to the Conti’s. They run for $205 per tire. Goodyear has a $75 of a set of 4 tire promotion going on.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Exhilarate&partnum=34YR9EEXXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model+3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel+Drive&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model+3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel+Drive

I live in Southern California so I just need a tire that handles dry and wet well. The Tire Rack comparison review rates the Goodyear Exhilarate highly.

I’ve had them for about a month and am really happy with them. They have a noticeably stiffer sidewall which you can feel (and I prefer) when cornering and they seem to be a bit grippier than the Conti’s as well. I’m no longer getting tire chirp when semi-aggressively accelerating into a right turn near where I work.

Even though the the Goodyear’s don’t have the foam insert like the stock Conti’s, road noise doesn’t seem any louder and ride comfort feels comparable.

I’m only a month in but so far I’m really happy with my purchase. Hopefully I get a little longer life out of the Goodyear’s vs the Continentals (30k miles.... replaced a bit early due to a blowout I had on the freeway).

5. Daintree

Daintree New Member

I’m in Dallas and looking to replace my tires. I didn’t do a rotation until after 10k and my rears were 4/32, fronts 7/32. Couldn’t believe how much they wore down.

My preference is to find a quiet tire that will last. I don’t care about mileage. That Michelin deal seems like a good idea but the CrossClimate seems like overkill for Dallas. Any thoughts?