Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended type of outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 14-50 outlet installed, but had the electrician use 60a wiring so I can more easily upgrade to a Tesla Wall Connector in the future.
For others considering this course of action, you might as well put in a 6-50 instead of a 14-50 and save yourself an unnecessary wire run (the 6-50 has no neutral, which isn’t used in either the case of the mobile charger or the wall connector anyway). Particularly since the 14-50 adapter isn’t included with the car any more.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
For others considering this course of action, you might as well put in a 6-50 instead of a 14-50 and save yourself an unnecessary wire run (the 6-50 has no neutral, which isn’t used in either the case of the mobile charger or the wall connector anyway). Particularly since the 14-50 adapter isn’t included with the car any more.

I use a 6-50 outlet for my daily home charging needs. It also serves as the outlet for my welder, and I installed it for that purpose long before I purchased my M3.

Although, I did go ahead and run 6/3 wire in lieu of 6/2 wire to “future proof” it in case I ever have a need to change it to a 14-50 (RV connection, etc). Not much cost difference between 6/2 and 6/3 wire.

I ran the wire myself and to me there is a big difference in 6/2 and 6/3. I have two NEMA 6-50's. One for the Model 3 and one for a Y when they become available. I don't have finalized plans for the Cybertruck yet. It will have to live in the driveway as we only have a 2 car garage.

OP if you have a long way to run have both a 6-50 and a 14-50 priced out.
Also for maximum flexibility, buy a 14-50 adaptor for sure. They will work at about any RV park.

Price difference between 6/3 and 6/2... as mentioned above, make decision based on how far away the receptacle needs to be. Short run, get 6/3... long run 6/2 significantly cheaper.

upload_2020-1-7_20-30-46.png
upload_2020-1-7_20-31-2.png