TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recommended type of outlet?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ibedizzy, Jan 7, 2020.

1. ibedizzy

ibedizzy Member

We're getting an outlet installed for our M3. What would everyone recommend we get installed? Nema 14-50 or something else?

2. runelind

runelind Member

14-50 if you can swing it.

3. Gordon87

Gordon87 Member

I had a 14-50 outlet installed, but had the electrician use 60a wiring so I can more easily upgrade to a Tesla Wall Connector in the future.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

And make sure that you get a heavy duty 14-50 receptacle (about $90), not the cheap $10 version.

• Like x 2
  5. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

For others considering this course of action, you might as well put in a 6-50 instead of a 14-50 and save yourself an unnecessary wire run (the 6-50 has no neutral, which isn’t used in either the case of the mobile charger or the wall connector anyway). Particularly since the 14-50 adapter isn’t included with the car any more.

• Helpful x 1
  6. pl8dlikafiddle

I use a 6-50 outlet for my daily home charging needs. It also serves as the outlet for my welder, and I installed it for that purpose long before I purchased my M3.

Although, I did go ahead and run 6/3 wire in lieu of 6/2 wire to “future proof” it in case I ever have a need to change it to a 14-50 (RV connection, etc). Not much cost difference between 6/2 and 6/3 wire.

7. Feathermerchan

Feathermerchan Active Member

I ran the wire myself and to me there is a big difference in 6/2 and 6/3. I have two NEMA 6-50's. One for the Model 3 and one for a Y when they become available. I don't have finalized plans for the Cybertruck yet. It will have to live in the driveway as we only have a 2 car garage.

OP if you have a long way to run have both a 6-50 and a 14-50 priced out.
    Also for maximum flexibility, buy a 14-50 adaptor for sure. They will work at about any RV park.

8. eevee-fan

eevee-fan Active Member

Price difference between 6/3 and 6/2... as mentioned above, make decision based on how far away the receptacle needs to be. Short run, get 6/3... long run 6/2 significantly cheaper.

upload_2020-1-7_20-30-46.png upload_2020-1-7_20-31-2.png

9. Feathermerchan

Feathermerchan Active Member

Those are only 50 ft. I had to buy 125 ft. Twice.