Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended USB drive for dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now? 4GB is plenty.

It's only recording a single camera for an hour max at 1280x960/30fps. That's less than 2GB for a full hour of video... so you could hold that plus another dozen or so 10 minute clips.

256GB might be useful when it's doing 8 cameras 24/7 or something but that's... not likely coming super soon.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I would think you really only need enough space to store the buffer size of the camera + a few of the saved clips. You are not leaving the saved clips on the USB drive, so they would be off loaded in a day or a few days. It seem a bit overkill to get a 256G thumb drive. Also I am not sure you need a very fast usb drive. I think the car actually stored the footage inside the car's own memory first, then it just copy the files over to the thumb drive. It is probably not using the thumb drive as a real time storage device. Any thumb drive made in the last 10 years will probably work.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine and RTPEV
Using a drive that is larger than necessary will probably prolong its life (since it has more room for wear-leveling). The pricing sweet spot is probably 32 or 64GB right now. AFAIK the ports in the Model 3 are USB 2, so buying a USB 3 drive is unnecessary.

@JPP , do you have one currently? If so, I'm curious to know if it gets noticeably hot, e.g. after playing a song or two, then pulling it out and holding the metal part between your thumb and index finger.

Haven't used it yet. I will plug it into my Model 3 once I get v.9, and use it for TeslaCam. I don't plan to load it up with music. I have a SanDisk (old model):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLEODCK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for my music.

Some thing like this with wireless connectivity could be interesting, since you could offload the video without ever removing the drive from the car.

https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-Wi...SDWS2-016G-E57/dp/B00DBX37H6?sa-no-redirect=1

I've got one on the way to try. (Disclaimer: don't have v9 yet.) I'm also planning to see if it will properly handle splitting the available space into two volumes, since the preliminary documentation suggests that music and TeslaCam can't share; it would be handy to use only one physical device, though.

I've got one on the way to try. (Disclaimer: don't have v9 yet.) I'm also planning to see if it will properly handle splitting the available space into two volumes, since the preliminary documentation suggests that music and TeslaCam can't share; it would be handy to use only one physical device, though.

Why buy that one when the new model is less than 1/3 the price?
https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-117873-Sandisk-Connect-16GB/dp/B00ZCFYDLA/

I was reading up the info on it and it seems like the stick cannot use the wireless function when it is plugged into the an usb port. You have to unplug it to use the WiFi transfer function.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Why buy that one when the new model is less than 1/3 the price?
https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-117873-Sandisk-Connect-16GB/dp/B00ZCFYDLA/

I was reading up the info on it and it seems like the stick cannot use the wireless function when it is plugged into the an usb port. You have to unplug it to use the WiFi transfer function.

I'm wondering if when the car is asleep, the stick does not recognize as being plugged in (I know the Wi-Fi on the 3 shuts down). If that is the case, you may be able to use the wireless function while the car is asleep.

I'm wondering if when the car is asleep, the stick does not recognize as being plugged in (I know the Wi-Fi on the 3 shuts down). If that is the case, you may be able to use the wireless function while the car is asleep.

Oh.. sneaky..... But I think it won't work. The Q&A said something about to use the wireless function... need to put the cap on top LOL. Can't be plugged in and have the cap on at the same time.

I bought this while it was on sale a few days ago. Not sure how long the write cycle life on it is, but it was a pretty good deal for 200gigs and should serve its purpose for the short-term. Who knows, maybe once the feature gets improved Tesla will offer a cloud based storage service for a moderate monthly fee. Until then, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for V9 and see how the drive I bought holds up.

• Informative
Reactions: MMBTUS
I am thinking less about getting a huge thumb drive for this purpose and more intrigued by the thought of one with built-in Wi-Fi. It would be easy to write a script for my server that polled the thumb drive in the evenings and grabbed any content.

When I went to see what thumb drives with built-in Wi-Fi were available, I was surprised that that doesn't really seem like a thing. Really? SanDisk has one product line (referenced above) but it's not super clear if that is what we are looking for...