Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reconsidering getting a 2nd EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently own an S 90D. LOVE THE CAR. Wife's van is at 150K. Was thinking about getting her a Y or another used S. Then we decide to take a trip up north to Eagle River Wisc (we live in the Chicago area). Look at the charging options and there are NONE.

Thinking this two EV car idea might be flawed. I guess we could rent, but really don't want to be forced down that rabbit hole. Maybe more charging stations will come fast than I think?

Thoughts on this? Eagle River is about 100 miles from the nearest charger. If we fully charged (in the winter) and headed up that way, we may not make it back if we drive around up there.

Bottom line is my dream of a 2nd EV may have to wait for another car buying cycle :(

Am I looking at this correctly?

Reactions: Eclectic
Did you look at level2 and other destination chargers? Also there are more fast charging options available than Tesla.

As far as buy a 2nd ev and renting vs buying another ICE, figure out how often you'll head into an area that lacks charging options, and what renting costs. Then figure out fuel savings and see which is worth it.

Unless you make that trip extremely often, I doubt renting is going to cost more than fuel savings. As you indicated, this is a temporary issue, and will only get better in the coming years.

There is a winery up that way with Tesla destination chargers listed at 16kw if your car has dual chargers and hour spent there might be just the ticket.

What is your destination?

Last summer I went all the way up into the keweenaw peninsula and spent a week. Took some planning to secure a L2 option a short walk from an airbnb cabin.

If you are going that way for winter nature activities down near Appleton there is a nature preserve with destination chargers good for 80amps of 208volt that might be nice though since it is between GB and Oshkosh superchargers isn't a link to anywhere

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Actually that is a good point. Have never done the 120 charge yet, but I am sure it works fine. We are staying at a lake house that I am sure I can snag a 120 plug. Just have to pack an extension cord. Good idea.

check ahead you might be able to use a 20 amp 120, or a 240 v circuit of America kind if there’s a garage or a dryer close to a window, lol. Just make sure you get a heavy gauge extension cord appropriate for the amps and distance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
Many new Tesla have over 300 miles range available.

With 200 mile round trip, would leave about 100 miles of "driving around". More if you would charge up at either destination charger or 120V slow charge while sleeping. Might even discover a 220v dryer vent or such to provide a faster local charge at your destination. Will just need to check out the plugs available and bring the proper adaptor.

Remember also that most RV campsites have 240v access for motorhomes to plug in while visiting. Maybe get a charge there as well.

Where there is a will...there is a way.

I'd there are lights, then there tends to be charging options.
I'm plugged into 120V right now, after pulling in with 50 miles. It may take a few days to fill, but it works.
I've got a Supercharger 15 miles away, but probably won't need it. I have used the car for over 100 miles, and added 2 hours of L2, but still on target to be at 100% when leaving.

Eagle River in winter is likely to be well below freezing, 120volts below freezing and potentially below zero aint gonna do it. Summer sure it helps.
I live south of there and we have already had a few tripos barely below zero but Eagle River has already seen at least 5below if not more.

Eagle River in winter is likely to be well below freezing, 120volts below freezing and potentially below zero aint gonna do it. Summer sure it helps.
I live south of there and we have already had a few tripos barely below zero but Eagle River has already seen at least 5below if not more.

So what you are saying is that you can't use a standard household outlet when the temp is below freezing? It won't charge at all?

We visit an Airbnb periodically with our X 100D.

The owner installed a 30A outlet on the outside wall from the breaker panel inside the 1 bedroom casita we rent - so we know have a place to charge overnight when we stay there.

Depending upon where the OP is staying, there may be accessible 30A or 50A power - and if it's a place that is used for others, the owner could approach Tesla about getting a Wall Connector for free - especially since there there are few charging options nearby.

So what you are saying is that you can't use a standard household outlet when the temp is below freezing? It won't charge at all?

It may not gain charge in really cold conditions, but you won't lose as much charge as you would have otherwise for battery heating and vampire drain.

And to the point about 300 plus rated miles above, I seriously doubt there is any Tesla or other EV currently available that can achieve anything close to 300 miles in cold weather driving especially if there is any interstate or mountains involved.

Reactions: doghousePVD
There are more chargers being installed every month. Look beyond Tesla SuperChargers and check out EVgo, Electrify America and PlugShare.. Level 2 destination chargers can be great especially at restaurants and hotels. You might want to let the places you frequent know about the Tesla destination charger charging partners program. Here is the link to Tesla website page. Charging Partners | Tesla
Having a level 2 charger to plug in overnight at a Hotel makes charging easy. Good for keeping the battery warm. Many places put in multiple chargers for their guests to use. Planting the seed one year might mean the next year you have more places to charge. Talk to the owner / manager of the restaurant or hotel and explain the benefits to them in that their location will end up as a charge location in every Tesla navigation system encouraging owners to use their facilities rather than a competitor. You might be surprised. Owners are always looking for ways to attract more customers. I would never go back to a gas vehicle. The world is moving forward.

The final 100 miles from the supercharger to this town is 55mph dotted with small towns causing you to slow to 25-45mph.

On the 120volt charging. I haven't tried in winter. If someone were to try it plugging in soon as you arrive would be best so the pack is already warm.

The big concern is the pack needing heating to charge. Couple hundred mile drive will warm it nicely, over the next few days though without much driving it will get cold.

First winter with the Tesla I had. 14-30 outlet and combined the pack and interior heaters would draw more than that delivered and even plugged in I could lose 2-3miles during warmup. Got by the whole winter with it, but 120volt won't be close to enough to feed the "departure tax" as it has been called.

With a Raven S I think I would try this even in winter, with a 90D.............I would have to have a summer trip or two in the books.

Honestly with the charge rate reduction my 85 has seen at the supercharger that might be the deal breaker with the family.
Wausau features not much. The one time we stopped there we decided the IHOP across the road is world's slowest, but I suppose that shifts blame from the car to the wait staff.

There are more chargers being installed every month. Look beyond Tesla SuperChargers and check out EVgo, Electrify America and PlugShare.. Level 2 destination chargers can be great especially at restaurants and hotels. You might want to let the places you frequent know about the Tesla destination charger charging partners program. Here is the link to Tesla website page. Charging Partners | Tesla
Having a level 2 charger to plug in overnight at a Hotel makes charging easy. Good for keeping the battery warm. Many places put in multiple chargers for their guests to use. Planting the seed one year might mean the next year you have more places to charge. Talk to the owner / manager of the restaurant or hotel and explain the benefits to them in that their location will end up as a charge location in every Tesla navigation system encouraging owners to use their facilities rather than a competitor. You might be surprised. Owners are always looking for ways to attract more customers. I would never go back to a gas vehicle. The world is moving forward.

There is not much point to looking at Electrify America and EVgo. Unless the OP has a Chademo adapter, EA is useless. EVgo has a few Tesla plugs in California, but otherwise nada. Plugshare is very good for finding L2 (slow) charging.

Please be helpful. You sound like a press release.

To the OP: Find out what are your 240 Volt charging options where you are going. Trying to charge in freezing conditions with only 120 V is challenging, and may take several days and nights to recharge adequately. Just about every house in the US has 240 V outlets, for electric stove or dryers. Many mechanic shops and farms will have a welding outlet. You will need the specific adapter, such as 14-50, 14-30, 10-50, 6-50, etc. so make sure you call ahead to confirm what is available. Many folks may not know the exact type of outlet, so have them take a picture so you can verify what you need. Also check to see how close you can park to the outlet. You may need a 14-50 extension cord.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Actually that is a good point. Have never done the 120 charge yet, but I am sure it works fine. We are staying at a lake house that I am sure I can snag a 120 plug. Just have to pack an extension cord. Good idea.
Do you normally visit the lake house in the summer or the winter ?

In the summer if you just plug in to the 120 volt outlet whenever the car is parked you can add a fair amount of range overnight while you are sleeping. As others have said if the battery gets cold soaked then 120 charging is less effective.

Does the lake house have an electric dryer ? An older house will probably have a 10-30 (3 prong) outlet for the dryer. If the house is more recent construction then the electric dryer will be a NEMA 14-30 outlet (4 prong). Both of these adapters are available on the Tesla web site and either one will charge your Tesla just fine.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Getting the power to the car may require an extension cord. I built my own with parts from the local hardware store, (very easy to do) but you can buy these cords online if you don't want to do it yourself.

A good plan B would have you stop at the Three Lakes Winery listed on plugshare. Only 10 miles away and looks like they have 3 Tesla connectors in the parking lot. Buy Local and enjoy. :):)

Last edited:
I think based on everything I have read here, I will be taking our Odyssey on this trip. Maybe next time we will go there will be better charging options. I will though mention the idea of the owner of the chalet we are staying at to get a charger. Right now there is just 120V circuit there. I do appreciate everyone's opinions. We do want to drive around while we are up there and don't want to be fretting about battery usage. Merry Xmas all!