TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recontenting the speakers in the rear hatch?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Chris TX, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

#1 Chris TX, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Has anyone without the Premium sound package added speakers to their rear hatch? My girls can barely hear any music when they are in the rear facing seats, so I want to put some in there. I'm hoping the wiring is already there for them!

Thinking about this, it would be nice if these hatch speakers were included with the jump seats. You really can't hear music back there.

2. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

This is exactly what I would like to do too. I've tried to ask this very question from people that have had their cars in to shops to upgrade their speakers, but I never got an answer.

3. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Don't worry, I'll be popping off interior panels shortly. I just wanted to see if anyone else has done this so I can see what to expect. I'll take pics, as usual. Stay tuned to this thread ;)

4. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

I've always thought there were speakers in the hatch.

5. ken830

Not unless you have the premium sound package.

6. babyrocket

babyrocket Member

Any update on this?

7. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I've got that hatch panel off and alas, there are no wires ready to accept the speakers. However, there are two wire bundles that run down either side of the hatch into the roof. Each one has plenty of room for more wires, too. The metal fasteners are a bit of a pain, but the panel does come off. To put it all back on, you might need to bend back some of the tabs with needlenose pliers.

hatchspeakers1.jpg hatchspeakers2.jpg hatchspeakers3.jpg hatchspeakers4.jpg hatchspeakers5.jpg

It looks like these speakers will work perfectly with the mounting tabs:
    Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers: Car Electronics

I've got some on order, so we'll see how they mount up and sound. Pioneer should be good enough for that location.
    I'll post pics back in this thread of the mounting and running of the wires.

8. Mikial

Mikial Member

Are you planning to run the rear door leads through an amplifier to power them? What is your plan on this one? Looking forward to seeing what you do, and hearing about the results...

9. ken830

Thanks for taking the time and effort! I look forward to your update.

10. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

11. Mikial

Mikial Member

When you get the project rolling, please provide us details. i.e.: Where are you putting the amp? I assume that you will be feeding of of the rear speaker leads? Mounting the unit in the trunk? Looking forward to seeing what you do. What does it feel like being either an inspiration or warning to others? Ha!

12. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

When our kids are in the back, it's when we are on longer road trips, otherwise they tend to prefer their car seats in the second row so they can see out the windows. If anything, they tend to ask that we turn the music down so they can hear the movie on the ipad.

where I'd really like more speakers, even with the sound upgrade is in the mid range, placed in the back doors to help create a more true fade effect, allowing the driver to center the music without loosing so much fidelity.

13. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Yes, I intend on feeding the amp from the rear speaker feeds. Once it's all done, I'll adjust the gain on the amp so it will match the volume (or maybe a little less) than the rear speakers. And yes, I do intend on sharing just how I'm putting these two little speakers in the hatch. It might not seem like a big deal, but I'm fine being the pioneer (pun intended) on this one.

14. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

First of all, turn off Dolby Surround (on the same panel where you can adjust Tone and Fade/Balance). Dolby Surround is optimized for the best sound experience in the front seats and does not work at all for passengers in the back. You may find that without Dolby Surround, the experience is actually acceptable without the need to add more speakers in the back.

15. ken830

#15 ken830, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    I believe without the Premium Sound package, there will be no Dolby Surround feature.

16. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

There is no Dolby Surround feature without that package. Even with the Tech package. All I see is where to fade the sound.

17. ken830

My typo. I missed a "no" in there. Fixed.

18. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

True, my fault.

19. kazaam

kazaam New Member

Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but I am interested in this as well. How did the installation go?

20. russman

russman Member

Anyone successfully add speakers in the hatch for non-premium audio cars?