Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recontenting the speakers in the rear hatch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone without the Premium sound package added speakers to their rear hatch? My girls can barely hear any music when they are in the rear facing seats, so I want to put some in there. I'm hoping the wiring is already there for them!

Thinking about this, it would be nice if these hatch speakers were included with the jump seats. You really can't hear music back there.

When he was doing my Reus install I asked Cliff Johnson about that. If I recall correctly he told me Reus had concluded that it was a very poor location for speakers so they don't add anything there.

If you do not have the Sound Package, is that speaker on the rear liftgate just empty? And if so, is there no shielding, etc in there?

I'n asking Bc thinking of trying to install Fastrak transponder in that grab handle under the liftgate speaker--Autopilot cars have windshields that totally block transponder signals and Tesla Tech Support said the rear glass is the only glass that works.

If you do not have the Sound Package, is that speaker on the rear liftgate just empty? And if so, is there no shielding, etc in there?

I'n asking Bc thinking of trying to install Fastrak transponder in that grab handle under the liftgate speaker--Autopilot cars have windshields that totally block transponder signals and Tesla Tech Support said the rear glass is the only glass that works.

Chris TX upthread is probably our local resident expert on tolltags here. Maybe he can comment if he has done any tests in the rear window glass.

In a recent rear laser shifter and rear DVR cam installation exercise, I found there are actually wires run for those speakers even if you don't have the HF sound package. I was going to run some new ones, but I'll try to utilize the factory ones.

As for the recent question about shielding, there is none. The grilles are just open to the hatch cavity.

As for the FasTrak pass mounting, the lack of shielding inside might allow the mounting of it inside the plastic. Be warned that there will be panel fasteners that break when you pull that panel off. Be prepared to replace all of them (~25)

In a recent rear laser shifter and rear DVR cam installation exercise, I found there are actually wires run for those speakers even if you don't have the HF sound package. I was going to run some new ones, but I'll try to utilize the factory ones.

That is interesting. Any pics to help get an idea of their location? Let us know how your install goes.

Personally, I wondered if speakers were in there and now that I know there are not (and Artsi's contact doesn't feel they would be worthwhile), I wonder about repurposing that with an LED strip tied to the light on the hatch. I will be adding two LED strips (the ones Artsi mentions from SuperBrightLeds in one of the trunk lighting threads) under the parcel shelf mounts soon.

That is interesting. Any pics to help get an idea of their location? Let us know how your install goes.

Personally, I wondered if speakers were in there and now that I know there are not (and Artsi's contact doesn't feel they would be worthwhile), I wonder about repurposing that with an LED strip tied to the light on the hatch. I will be adding two LED strips (the ones Artsi mentions from SuperBrightLeds in one of the trunk lighting threads) under the parcel shelf mounts soon.

They are taped to the hatch wiring harness with blue tape. If you can reach your hand down into the holes, you might be able to feel them and pull them loose. I've already put the panel back on. When I install the speakers, I'll try to take some pictures down in there where the wires meet the harness.

As for the value of adding them back in, this would be for the passengers in the rear facing seats. Right now, we need to turn the music up rather loud for them to hear it.

Does anybody know, where the other end of this tailgate cables are (in the dash)?

Attachments

• 3B255CAC-8B42-4E72-A0DD-0ACADF45A088.jpeg
    3B255CAC-8B42-4E72-A0DD-0ACADF45A088.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 150
Sorry I can't offer any information or help but I'm still following this thread and hope you continue to share what you learn. Maybe someday, I'll get around to putting speakers in. Sure would be nice at the drive-in.