Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Record wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I set the bar at 570 wh/mi while driving up the Mt Washington Auto Road.
I bet the CO folks can easily beat this on Pike's Peak or other peaks.
Driving an EV up and down a mountain is FUN
Starting with 62%, got to the top with 47%, back at the bottom was at 55%.

The rules for this game are:
Must be a 30 minute average
Must capture a screen shot the energy output on the car
Maybe other rules will need to be included, but this is for fun.

Mt Washington (11).JPG

Yesterday I set the bar at 570 wh/mi while driving up the Mt Washington Auto Road.

View attachment 561558

Great idea.

How often did you have to use the brakes on the way down? Can you regen all the way down?

I don't have the stats but I did climb a windy mountain from 0ft to 2600ft yesterday. It is so much fun to drive with one pedal on a mountain. As I approach a turn or switchback, I pull my feet from accelerator and as I am getting out of the curve pushing back all the way. Awesome feeling. In an ICE car, it would be quite tiring moving between gas and break but in Tesla it is a total pleasure, especially with its instant acceleration.

When I do climb again, I will take the measurements.

I remember driving my gasser in Death Valley and there was this one sustained descent (perhaps Charcoal Kilns Rd) where I used engine braking, but I kept on accelerating and I had to use the brakes to slow down. It's the only instance where my engine braking wasn't enough.

I'd like to see how much energy I'd recover doing that road in the MY.

View attachment 561558

I'm fairly certain that graph is Wh/mile, not Wh/minute.

Mt Hamilton is the highest peak in the Silicon Valley area. I went up and down it on a dreary day late last year. The road is tight, twisty (lots and lots of blind corners), and there were a number of cyclists so it's relatively slow. The drive up is actually only ~19 miles from bottom to top, with two false summits.

Avg consumption: 469 Wh/mi
I forgot how much I consumed on the way in, but I got to the top with 45% and at the bottom I had 50%. I believe overall consumption was <280 Wh/mi (EPA combined) for my 2020 MY.

Mt_Hamilton_climb.jpg

Seriously? No challenge takers?

I went up/down/up/down the local mountains during lunch today. It's about 5000 ft (2x2500 ft) of climbing and descending. The road was a bit wet and I backed off significantly.

Efficiency was excellent as usual:
- 248 Wh/mi avg over 30 miles (right about at the "Rated" line) in the picture
- 258 Wh/mi over 42.3 miles when I took the picture

MY_Saratoga_twice.jpg

Reactions: Puma2020

View attachment 561558
In the early 90’s I hiked up and down Mt. Washington! How do we convert calories per hour to Watt hours? 😆

In the early 90’s I hiked up and down Mt. Washington! How do we convert calories per hour to Watt hours?
Maybe we passed each other on the trail. I have hiked it several times. My 5 y.o. daughter hiked up and down within the same day but that took some M&Ms for encouragement! :) It's a LOT more fun in the Y than the hiking was! Hiked once with some nieces and nephews from the mid west. They didn't understand elevation changes. They were freezing at the top and had to wait for the pack mule (me) to show up with the sweatshirts/pants that I had insisted they bring along.

We had dreary conditions this past Sunday so I was able to go and down this same route 4x (4x2500 = 10k ft). I chased a Porsche the first run, but then the rain came and I had to slow down.

Over-all efficiency was about the same.

I went up/down/up/down the local mountains during lunch today. It's about 5000 ft (2x2500 ft) of climbing and descending. The road was a bit wet and I backed off significantly.

Efficiency was excellent as usual:
- 248 Wh/mi avg over 30 miles (right about at the "Rated" line) in the picture
- 258 Wh/mi over 42.3 miles when I took the picture

View attachment 646095