Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recovering Dash Cam Footage From Tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

This evening someone threw a brick/rock at my girlfriend's new Model 3 while she was driving. About an hour later we tried to go back to access the dash cam footage and the saved footage did not go back far enough to capture the event. Is there any way to recover the footage?

Thanks in advance.

it really depends on how you set it up not sure if your in century mode you my have chance to Tesla may be able to help you get the footage your for. This is one of the problems by the time you hit horn or press the camera icon its to late. Good luck hope this helps

TeslaCam buffer is only 60 minutes. Save Video removes last 10 minutes of recorded video from the buffer when Save is enacted and TeslaCam puts it in a separate file. For safety sake when you Save, give TeslaCam a full minute or so beyond the event before hitting Save as the camera records in one-minute recording blocks and you don’t want to risk stopping that record mid-block (in case it doesn’t save that last minute portion or a corruption occurs). Also be sure to turn off the camera before ejecting the flash drive so the software can properly shut recording down and finalize files.

If in the excitement/confusion of the moment you forget to save the accident/event and less than an hour of drive time has passed since it, shut the camera down and remove the drive so you don’t accidentally run past that 60-minute buffer time and record over it. In you are within the buffer timeframe the event should be in the 1-hr buffer’s Recent clips folder.

Hi all,

This evening someone threw a brick/rock at my girlfriend's new Model 3 while she was driving. About an hour later we tried to go back to access the dash cam footage and the saved footage did not go back far enough to capture the event. Is there any way to recover the footage?

Thanks in advance.
Did you get any further with this? We had a similar incident recently and the footage from the hour prior was strangely missing a crucial period of about 6 minutes.

There seems to be murmurings online that it might be accessible as the car senses it was in a crash and might send some footage away but not really sure.

bump - I have similar corrupted and missing video in the minutes before getting rear ended...I tried to repair the corrupt mp4 files using

it tried and "advanced repair" using a working mp4 file from the USB and it still couldn't repair a corrupt file I need

Anyone have any suggestions on a way to either pull new video from memory or repair the corrupt mp4s

bump - I have similar corrupted and missing video in the minutes before getting rear ended...I tried to repair the corrupt mp4 files using

it tried and "advanced repair" using a working mp4 file from the USB and it still couldn't repair a corrupt file I need

Anyone have any suggestions on a way to either pull new video from memory or repair the corrupt mp4s
I covered how to recover deleted footage here (the footage that is deleted by Tesla's one hour loop recording). This only works if you ejected the USB safely and the footage did not get overwritten by newer files.
Dashcam in Auto

However, this may not work if footage was corrupted (for example only the latest clip is gone). This usually happens if you don't wait at least a minute after the event happened before doing any file change action (like pressing to save the footage or ejecting the drive without turning off dashcam first). Given each clip is recorded in 1 minute increments, sometimes the last clip is corrupted if that recording is interrupted while it is writing to the drive.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
I covered how to recover deleted footage here (the footage that is deleted by Tesla's one hour loop recording). This only works if you ejected the USB safely and the footage did not get overwritten by newer files.
Dashcam in Auto

However, this may not work if footage was corrupted (for example only the latest clip is gone). This usually happens if you don't wait at least a minute after the event happened before doing any file change action (like pressing to save the footage or ejecting the drive without turning off dashcam first). Given each clip is recorded in 1 minute increments, sometimes the last clip is corrupted if that recording is interrupted while it is writing to the drive.
Thanks I will try I'm afraid the USB stick was too slow to properly close the files I'm looking ot recover...I didn't try Recuva...I'll try that next....