Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recovering unsaved video footage of accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to post this in the hopes it helps others that are frustrated with losing footage of an accident.

Someone merged into my wife on the freeway and then claimed that my wife is the one that hit her (of course). Unfortunately, my wife didn't hit the cam icon to save the footage and when I looked for the footage an hour later there was nothing.

I won't get into the annoyance of why we can't just go back through an hour of video if we have plenty of space on our drive, but fortunately even though the car erases the footage it can still apparently be recovered. In my case I have a mac and used Disk Drill. I had to do the extended recovery process which took an hour. Just to make it easier to read:

(1) Used disk drill to recover data. Initial recovery had video clips from before the accident and after the accident, but conveniently did not have the actual accident.
(2) Used the extended recovery option (which took about an hour on a 128GB stick)
(3) Search string was simply the date of the accident and the hour. (I used 12-15_11) and found it.

Note: the footage ended up being in the SentryClips folder.

Sure can't beat side cameras.

One other thing, before I did the deep scan I was trying to open some mp4s that were around the time of the accident and nothing would open them (I tried both mac and pc). I downloaded RecoverIt from Wondershare and it was able to repair the corrupt files, but fortunately I didn't end up needing to buy it because I found the files with the above procedure and they weren't corrupted. Just wanted to throw that out there in case others run into the same predicament.

And I'll just add that the incident happened at 11:52a and when I went into SentryClips this is what it had ... so why would it just erase the clip I needed, but not the clip before or after?

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 7.59.21 PM.png

Can’t explain the Sentry gaps, nor the idiocy of that driver. Shifting lane with no signal. Like how did this person not see you? Madness.

Very generous of you to hide their plate, btw. Glad you recovered the footage - should be plenty for the the other driver’s insurance to claim responsibility.

Reactions: krong