TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recovery from wet fob situation?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by freds, May 2, 2016.

1. freds

freds Member

Had a recent experience where I went into the pool with the fob in my pocket. Luckily the fob recovered after being vacuumed out and placed in a bowl of rice overnight to dry it out.

But this made me think of a situation where you have something similar happen while boating or in park somewhere; where there is no cell phone coverage.

Other than loading the car up on a truck and taking it too a location that has cell phone service after somehow getting ahold of AAA first, any ideas?

Obviously the situation changes when there is cell phone service, you find someone with an apple iPhone download the app and access your car.

2. ddimit

ddimit Member

Rice doesn't work well for internals. take the battery out and use a hair dryer on low heat to blow int the fob via the battery compartment.

3. freds

freds Member

Oh I didn't put rice inside of the fob. It provides a low humidity environment to draw out the water...

4. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

If no cell coverage, WiFi also works for the phone app or for Tesla to remote start over the air but I believe the car has to have been previously paired with the WiFi network. I suppose Tesla could overnight you a replacement fob if your spare fob was not available.

5. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

Did you try the passive unlocking? I suppose that might not function either if the key is wet, but maybe?

6. trigga71

trigga71 Member

Any water proofing ideas?

7. wayner

wayner Active Member

Aren't there silicone fob covers that you can get? They might not work 100% but should help.

8. freds

freds Member

How do you passive unlock a Tesla?

9. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

It's in the manual, it's different for S and X. With the S you hold the key fob next to the window near the wiper on the passenger side, and on the X it's on the driver side at the base of the care between the two doors I believe. You can then place the key in the cupholder which is near the sensor and should be able to start. This is for if the battery in the fob dies, I believe it's RFID, so it can still power up and return a signal even with no power, but it doesn't have much range.

10. Burt Court

Burt Court Member

Best yet for nearly anything that electronic falls into water: Put it into pure water, RO, distilled, ultra pure water. It needs to be pure H2O, no minerals. Thats how your boards were made in the beginning.
    old water doctor

11. travwill

travwill Member

I washed mine when almost brand new, stopped working. Put it in a sealed small bowl on top of some white dry rice also. Let it sit overnight. It worked fine again the next day or so later; drew out all the moisture in air from it.

12. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

They do help. As you say, they're not sold as providing full water proofing, but since the battery compartment is in the 'front' of the fob, it's well protected by the silicone, which itself is a snug fit. 'shower proof' for sure, pool proof, maybe :)

13. freds

freds Member

Personal experience; pool proof not!!!!