Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recovery from wet fob situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a recent experience where I went into the pool with the fob in my pocket. Luckily the fob recovered after being vacuumed out and placed in a bowl of rice overnight to dry it out.

But this made me think of a situation where you have something similar happen while boating or in park somewhere; where there is no cell phone coverage.

Other than loading the car up on a truck and taking it too a location that has cell phone service after somehow getting ahold of AAA first, any ideas?

Obviously the situation changes when there is cell phone service, you find someone with an apple iPhone download the app and access your car.

If no cell coverage, WiFi also works for the phone app or for Tesla to remote start over the air but I believe the car has to have been previously paired with the WiFi network. I suppose Tesla could overnight you a replacement fob if your spare fob was not available.

It's in the manual, it's different for S and X. With the S you hold the key fob next to the window near the wiper on the passenger side, and on the X it's on the driver side at the base of the care between the two doors I believe. You can then place the key in the cupholder which is near the sensor and should be able to start. This is for if the battery in the fob dies, I believe it's RFID, so it can still power up and return a signal even with no power, but it doesn't have much range.