Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to be capt'n obvious.

If you has 6 cars it would be great to read 6 stories. One about each experience.

One car should exactly replicate the NYT down to the smallest detail except instead of the last dumb move of resorting to a flatbed. Find a better last minute solution like slowing down or stopping at a J1772 charge point to show the system works- just like gasoline. You are low, you stop to fill.

The next car should do the NYT drive exactly but without any of the mistakes carefully pointing out each and ever place he messed up.

Another car should be a normal drive as anyone would do it (much like the CNN drive)
and
One car be a hypermiler working to squeeze every bit of extra range at the end of each leg
and
One should be a crazy leadfoot who has a blast with the speed and awesome acceleration but then to has to stop more. A realistic showing of the other end of the spectrum.

Create a different scenario for each driver to represent the different kind of "Joes" out there. Would give credibility to what works and what does not.

Good luck!

This is a fabulous idea. It is also more scientific.

Representing Massachusetts, i've love to be in position 5 - but think it's best that we stick together and show force and solidarity - particularly if we decide to go through time square.

Not to be capt'n obvious.

If you has 6 cars it would be great to read 6 stories. One about each experience.

One car should exactly replicate the NYT down to the smallest detail except instead of the last dumb move of resorting to a flatbed. Find a better last minute solution like slowing down or stopping at a J1772 charge point to show the system works- just like gasoline. You are low, you stop to fill.

The next car should do the NYT drive exactly but without any of the mistakes carefully pointing out each and ever place he messed up.

Another car should be a normal drive as anyone would do it (much like the CNN drive)
and
One car be a hypermiler working to squeeze every bit of extra range at the end of each leg
and
One should be a crazy leadfoot who has a blast with the speed and awesome acceleration but then to has to stop more. A realistic showing of the other end of the spectrum.

Create a different scenario for each driver to represent the different kind of "Joes" out there. Would give credibility to what works and what does not.

Good luck!

...I stopped to charge in Delaware, two of the four SuperChargers were inoperable. I called the toll-free number listed on one of the machines and spoke to a Tesla rep, who confirmed that only two machines were working.
Thanks for the heads up. I just spoke with Nick at Tesla customer service and he confirms that all superchargers in Delaware and Connecticut are working. We'll confirm again in the morning.

I see that. Way cool! But, forgive me how are they doing this. Is this related to the my car tweets thread?

Yep, I'm using a slightly modified version of the program I used to have my car tweet. I've added climate stats, battery SoC, and it now tweets while driving every 15 minutes. Also, supports multiple vehicles tweeting to a single twitter account.

- - - Updated - - -

not on a map?

No, but that would have been cool. Unfortunately, there was no time do anything like that. I barely had time to get their car's tweeting as it is. :)

So your actually tslaguy on Twitter? Is Aaron using your same app? His car is tweeting too.

No, my car is @PureAmps on twitter. I'm hanging out in sunny California while they drive. :) I'm just providing a temporary relay between Tesla's telemetry servers and the @TeslaRoadTrip account on behalf of a few of the drivers, including Aaron's vehicle.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, the car tweeting thing is really really cool, but for this application, seems like it might get in the way. I'm afraid that the tweet page will be filled with a bunch of status updates about the car's internal temperature, and it's going to detract from the actual progress of the trip. If you want to entice the media to get interested in your story, I can't imagine a reporter sitting down to wade through pages and pages of tweets that are mostly about temps and SoC.

Maybe you might consider setting up a separate twitter account that will collect all of the copious amounts of data so those that are interested can really dig in, but those that are not won't have to wade through all the noise.

I'm not gonna lie, the car tweeting thing is really really cool, but for this application, seems like it might get in the way. I'm afraid that the tweet page will be filled with a bunch of status updates about the car's internal temperature, and it's going to detract from the actual progress of the trip. If you want to entice the media to get interested in your story, I can't imagine a reporter sitting down to wade through pages and pages of tweets that are mostly about temps and SoC.

Maybe you might consider setting up a separate twitter account that will collect all of the copious amounts of data so those that are interested can really dig in, but those that are not won't have to wade through all the noise.

I tend to agree, I increased the volume of tweets to include additional tweets while they are driving, but it is a bit much after watching it. :) I think maybe, I'll quiet it down a little...

Last edited:

I agree with this. And @TeslaRoadTrip could retweet occasional telemetry tweets so everyone following at least can easily find the telemetry account.