TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Alexander, Feb 12, 2013.

1. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

John

Shall we organize this NYTimes debunking trip?

My only concern is the 4 supercharger max at both Newark, DE and the Northbound & Southbound stations in Milford. But there's nothing stopping us from waiting for a second set of people to charge - so I think we can comfortably support 8 people in this caravan...

Aaron

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think limiting the size of the group would be smart, maybe to 4 vehicles or two groups of 4 each documenting their experience separately. Maybe one group takes it easy and the other one drives at the posted speed limit. That way, you don't add an hour to your trip log waiting for the other people to do a range charge making it seem like the trip took longer than it did.
    Excited about this project. Good luck to you guys.

3. cdabel

cdabel Member

Hope you guys actually do this, with lots of pics and a video summary on YouTube.

4. kinddog

kinddog Banned

great idea. we have to really market it, too. maybe do a 3 minute YouTube video about it and everyone paste the link EVERYWHERE. maybe whoever did that Gallons of Light video can spear-head this up!

lets fight this sh*t....

5. Alexander

Alexander P# 8,878

We just need to set a time and a place. I haven't heard from Tesla about the press car, so we should move forward as if were not going to get it. Where should everyone meet and start the trip?

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Since there aren't enough stations to do a huge number of cars at one time, what about having a stream of cars do the trip. We could sign up for time slots and just rerun the trip back-to-back-to-back over a weekend? That would be pretty epic.

7. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Can't wait to see this happen and makes me wish I lived on the east coast as id be there with my 60kWh just to make a point.

8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

That's the best way. One car making it doesn't 'debunk' the allegations...you know the response - "Guy got lucky." But if a number of cars do it, they can't say all those people got lucky. With the limited chargers, doing it in waves is the best.

9. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Why not ask Tesla to turn on the logger on the participating Model Ses for the trip. That way you'll have all the same data that was available on the test car.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

DPielow's epic realtime FUD killing trip will be hard to beat!

11. Enadler

Enadler Member

Maybe invite other journalists to ride along. Someone from the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Forbes or any other main stream national media outlet.

12. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I think that would be hard, I'm just not sure that they would be so interested in the whole "taking matters into our own hands" aspect of it. Now, local news outlets and entities like The Verge...I bet we could get their attention.

13. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

spectacular idea guys, thanks in advance to anyone participating.

not all in one group is a good idea... perhaps sets of two or three.

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Sets of two makes sense. I agree.

15. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

LOLz...Stephen Glass came to my mind!

16. Jack

Jack P-880

Sign me up! Hope we can round up four of us from Boston!!

17. dtich

dtich #P708

love this! do it guys. wish i could join.

nice.

18. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

#38 aaron.s, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    Guys -

Just a thought.... we could also have a "team" of guys in the NY/CT/NJ area start in CT where the reporter started and head south and another "team" start in DC and do the northbound trip. Then back to our respective homes afterwards.

Maybe meet up in the middle somewhere on the NJ turnpike to meet and have a quick bite....

Aaron

------------------------ Updated

PS - I have a contact from the Tesla Motors Marketing Department I met at the Motor Trend announcement I attended in NYC. I just sent her the following email:

------------------------

Hello Kristin,

I met you briefly at the Motor Trend announcement in NYC this past fall. Since then I've taken delivery of my Model S and am of course, thrilled!

I'm quite active on the Tesla Motors Club forums and a thread was started about recreating the DC to CT road trip taken recently by the reporter at the NY Times. All of us are quite unhappy about the article and someone suggested if some East Coast owners could attempt the trip and prove this can be done in cold weather.

I thought it might be good to reach out to you and discuss this possible endeavor and see what (possible) role Tesla Motors might like to take -- even if it is as simple as monitoring the logs of some of our cars or possibly more.

What are your thoughts? This might be a great opportunity to put the facts on the table and prove that actual owners of the Model S can accomplish this trip quite well -- and without worry. Please feel free to give me a call on my cell or email me at your convenience.

Thanks Kristin!

19. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

I am game to join the fun, but it will depend on the date.

As many of you know, I travel between MD and NJ every week.

20. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Thank you guys that are taking this on. If something similar happens in Minnesota or Wisconsin Ill be right there:)
    One note, time is very important here. The sooner, the better as long as we can get it properly organized. The longer the delay the more the naysayers will be claiming, 'it took a rocket scientist (Musk), x days or x weeks to figure out how to make the trip successfully'.