Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CaptobviousChooseOption.gif

We live in an age of enhanced transparency. Companies and news outlets all need to be aware of this, and that every statement can be tested / challenged by "regular" people. Credibility is a tenuous thing these days. This is a great example of how information gathering and reporting has changed due to technology. Oh, and travel has been forever changed by technology too!
Very true. Old media has been especially slow to understand this.

I encourage everyone to stay civil with respect to insulting or personalizing attacks against him. It degrades us as a respectful community (regardless of his actions).

+1

Kudos to the participants for their personal sacrifices and excellent planning/execution on the drive this weekend. The performance and range capabilities of this amazing car are very well documented and indisputable. Let us focus our energies on promoting an ever-improving charging infrastructure: ubiquity of high speed charging stations.

So, in a nutshell, what did the Tesla road trip guys do differently than Broder?

I expect they will write report(s) about all that.

Until then, the short story: They did 100% charges at the Superchargers. That simple.

(Temperatures where not quite as cold. I think 5F or a bit more higher on on the stretch from Delaware to Milford, and 10F higher overnight. However on the roundtrip Milford->Groton->Stonington->Milton, they had snow and (head-)winds which had a small but noticeable effect on efficiency.)

Specifically on the leg of the trip on which Broder failed, the Model S which didn't use hotel overnight charging either, had a remaining charge of 72 miles, having returned to Milford. This car used Superchargers only.

(However, overnight charging was available in Groton, and is better to do than not. But as one can see, it worked even without, and plenty range left.)

I encourage everyone to stay civil with respect to insulting or personalizing attacks against him. It degrades us as a respectful community (regardless of his actions).
Have to agree with you 100%.
I am so proud to be part of this community (stealing Bonnie's words, but mine too) but there's also a line to be drawn between great humour and ... the urinal shot, IMO, is in poor taste.

Congratulations on your success!

So, in a nutshell, what did the Tesla road trip guys do differently than Broder?

In my case, a couple of things:

- Milford to Wilmington without a range charge driving mostly at 75+ (if you accept a net neutral recovery of overnight depletion at chargepoint as making it)
- NYC to Metrowest MA in difficult condtions without a range charge (although need 25 top off at a chargepoint), driving on the Hutch instead of past Milford
- Relying on highly accurate predictive data to make informed decisions about how much risk to take with range
- Driving an S as a high performance car as i would do any other high performance vehicle and coming to the conclusion that all we're missing is some infrastructure
- Thinking about my S in a new way - with a much broader range of use cases

Other team members showed what we already knew - that the broder report was without doubt wrong.

Bearman

My home is 55 miles from the supercharger in Westchester, NY. I drove down I95 with the others then veered off to my home and they continued down I95 to the George Washington Bridge and south to MD.

Have to save those range charges for when I really need them!

Aaron

Thanks aaron, of course, didn't know you were close to home when following the feed.
Btw thanks for doing this for all of us!
Well done!