TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Alexander, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Sunfishsolar.ca

This is the kind of thing that could turn into a annual event, for fun. Just a thought.

2. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Zythrym

I agree - but to truly recreate, we need a couple of cold days!

Aaron

3. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

I wish I had a Tesla (due to take delivery of mine next week) and lived on the East Coast to participate. If I did, this weekend looks to be below freezing at night and pretty cold during the day. With time being short, this coming weekend might be the window to shoot for.

4. nolngrgrsngslde

Great idea, also have tesla monitor the cars during the trip.

All you guys who cannot make it, can keep the drivers entertained during the trip. Keep posting on this thread, call them and talk to them, keep them entertained.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I hope at least one of the cars tweets the journey.

6. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Yes - this weekend does look good in terms of (at least) overnight temperatures....

Not sure we can get everything arranged by then but I'm willing to give it a shot. What about those of you that wanted to join in - would this Saturday/Sunday work?

Aaron

7. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Aaron, I'm free Sunday if we can get it together for then. I can't recall the details of his drive, but I think he drive from somewhere around DC to Milford, stayed overnight and tried to return to DC the next day. Would we do round trip as well, staying overnight in Milford? Would we leave sat or sun? John Groves

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I could leave Sat also, but need time to get from Philly down to DC.

9. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Teslaguy

He didn't drive all the way back to DC - he dropped the car off in Manhattan.

His overnight stay was in Groton, CT - 54 miles from the supercharger (not 46 as he stated in the article - 16 more miles total to get to/from the hotel) - which is by New London, CT which is FAR!

To truly recreate - shouldn't we stay overnight in Groton - but find a hotel that offers at least a 110v outlet to keep the battery warm (what he should have done that night)?

Thoughts?

Aaron

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I wonder if plugging in at night would be 'cheating' by the reporter's standards since he was only wanting to test the Supercharger network. I think it would be wise but can this trip be done without without plugging in at night if there is a 40 mile drop in range because of the cold?

11. Enadler

Enadler Member

You should have no problem as long as you fully charge in Milford on the way up. Which he didn't do.

12. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Aaron, Groton sounds fine for overnight. I think charging overnight at 110 makes sense. That's a protective issue for car battery, nothing to do with the Superchargers.

13. napabill

napabill Active Member

If it can be arranged, and you're sure of the range math, I'd have a couple do a 110 overnight somewhere, and another couple not. Good to see that either works...with a full range charge at the Supercharger. Seems to me that Broder has deflected his impatience with charging time, with the so-called cold effect. While it clearly exists, I don't believe it was the root cause of his tow-job.

14. richkae

richkae VIN587

#54 richkae, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    This may be too complex but you should take 4 cars and:
    1 car make no key mistakes ( charge full at superchargers, don't run the heater to warm the battery, don't leave the L2 charger til you have enough, plug in overnight )
    1 car make all the mistakes but the worst one ( don't leave the L2 until you have enough )
    1 car make only 1 mistake - ( don't charge to full at the superchargers )
    1 car make only 1 mistake - ( don't plug in overnight )

Then all cars make it to the destination and show that it's really not that hard even if you screw up a little.
    Edit: looks like napabill and I had the same idea

15. walla2

walla2 Member

I'll pitch in $100 for gas and lodging . . . Err just lodging. This is a great idea. I agree the sooner the better. If I wasnt in Washington State, I'd join in the debunking.

16. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Truman show style live broadcast anyone? :)
    Hmm....

17. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#57 Norbert, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    Even if (very unlikely, theoretically) it were to turn out not enough would be left without plugging in overnight, to go back to the Supercharger directly, you'll still be able to go to the same Level 2 charger, of course, as a back up.

It depends on how much of the additional charge will be left overnight (which you might want to try out tonight), but even with all the things he did, and just 1 hour of Level 2 charge, not much was missing. According to his report (graphic insert), he still made 51 of 68 miles (though driving past zero), so if that is correct, only 17 miles were missing (excluding the reserve). The 1 hour Level 2 charge might have given if him barely more than the detour to the Level 2 charger took (if even that).

Again, I'd try out a similar thing at home, first, leaving the car outside at similar temperatures if possible, with a similar charge, instead of relying on theory. (And then also see how many miles are recovered after driving n miles.)

- - - Updated - - -

+1. That would be ideal.

18. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Given how effortlessly the car accelerates, staying at the speed limit is a real challenge without using cruise control, but that doesn't work well in dense traffic. So good luck not breaking the "don't speed when pushing the limits on a road trip" rule.

If the Supercharger network extended south past DC to NC, I'd be signing up to participate, as I've done multiple 200+ mile day-trips without issue, and a few 300+ mile ones without Superchargers. Then again, ice and snow is a foreign concept down here.

19. PureAmps

PureAmps Model S P85 (#2817)

We also now have the technology to live tweet it straight from the vehicle's telematics system. :)

No need to record the data and blog about it later, just provide it in real time.

20. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

I like that thought of an annual event... hopefully a day commemorating a challenge turned into a step forward.