Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you guys that are taking this on. If something similar happens in Minnesota or Wisconsin Ill be right there:)
One note, time is very important here. The sooner, the better as long as we can get it properly organized. The longer the delay the more the naysayers will be claiming, 'it took a rocket scientist (Musk), x days or x weeks to figure out how to make the trip successfully'.

Zythrym

I agree - but to truly recreate, we need a couple of cold days!

Aaron

Why not ask Tesla to turn on the logger on the participating Model Ses for the trip. That way you'll have all the same data that was available on the test car.

Great idea, also have tesla monitor the cars during the trip.

All you guys who cannot make it, can keep the drivers entertained during the trip. Keep posting on this thread, call them and talk to them, keep them entertained.

Yes - this weekend does look good in terms of (at least) overnight temperatures....

Not sure we can get everything arranged by then but I'm willing to give it a shot. What about those of you that wanted to join in - would this Saturday/Sunday work?

Aaron

Aaron, I'm free Sunday if we can get it together for then. I can't recall the details of his drive, but I think he drive from somewhere around DC to Milford, stayed overnight and tried to return to DC the next day. Would we do round trip as well, staying overnight in Milford? Would we leave sat or sun? John Groves

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teslaguy

He didn't drive all the way back to DC - he dropped the car off in Manhattan.

His overnight stay was in Groton, CT - 54 miles from the supercharger (not 46 as he stated in the article - 16 more miles total to get to/from the hotel) - which is by New London, CT which is FAR!

To truly recreate - shouldn't we stay overnight in Groton - but find a hotel that offers at least a 110v outlet to keep the battery warm (what he should have done that night)?

Thoughts?

Aaron

I wonder if plugging in at night would be 'cheating' by the reporter's standards since he was only wanting to test the Supercharger network. I think it would be wise but can this trip be done without without plugging in at night if there is a 40 mile drop in range because of the cold?

I wonder if plugging in at night would be 'cheating' by the reporter's standards since he was only wanting to test the Supercharger network. I think it would be wise but can this trip be done without without plugging in at night if there is a 40 mile drop in range because of the cold?

You should have no problem as long as you fully charge in Milford on the way up. Which he didn't do.

If it can be arranged, and you're sure of the range math, I'd have a couple do a 110 overnight somewhere, and another couple not. Good to see that either works...with a full range charge at the Supercharger. Seems to me that Broder has deflected his impatience with charging time, with the so-called cold effect. While it clearly exists, I don't believe it was the root cause of his tow-job.

This may be too complex but you should take 4 cars and:
1 car make no key mistakes ( charge full at superchargers, don't run the heater to warm the battery, don't leave the L2 charger til you have enough, plug in overnight )
1 car make all the mistakes but the worst one ( don't leave the L2 until you have enough )
1 car make only 1 mistake - ( don't charge to full at the superchargers )
1 car make only 1 mistake - ( don't plug in overnight )

Then all cars make it to the destination and show that it's really not that hard even if you screw up a little.
Edit: looks like napabill and I had the same idea

Last edited:
You should have no problem as long as you fully charge in Milford on the way up. Which he didn't do.

Even if (very unlikely, theoretically) it were to turn out not enough would be left without plugging in overnight, to go back to the Supercharger directly, you'll still be able to go to the same Level 2 charger, of course, as a back up.

It depends on how much of the additional charge will be left overnight (which you might want to try out tonight), but even with all the things he did, and just 1 hour of Level 2 charge, not much was missing. According to his report (graphic insert), he still made 51 of 68 miles (though driving past zero), so if that is correct, only 17 miles were missing (excluding the reserve). The 1 hour Level 2 charge might have given if him barely more than the detour to the Level 2 charger took (if even that).

Again, I'd try out a similar thing at home, first, leaving the car outside at similar temperatures if possible, with a similar charge, instead of relying on theory. (And then also see how many miles are recovered after driving n miles.)

- - - Updated - - -

This may be too complex but you should take 4 cars and:
1 car make no key mistakes ( charge full at superchargers, don't run the heater to warm the battery, don't leave the L2 charger til you have enough, plug in overnight )
1 car make all the mistakes but the worst one ( don't leave the L2 until you have enough )
1 car make only 1 mistake - ( don't charge to full at the superchargers )
1 car make only 1 mistake - ( don't plug in overnight )

Then all cars make it to the destination and show that it's really not that hard even if you screw up a little.
Edit: looks like napabill and I had the same idea

+1. That would be ideal.

Last edited:
Given how effortlessly the car accelerates, staying at the speed limit is a real challenge without using cruise control, but that doesn't work well in dense traffic. So good luck not breaking the "don't speed when pushing the limits on a road trip" rule.

If the Supercharger network extended south past DC to NC, I'd be signing up to participate, as I've done multiple 200+ mile day-trips without issue, and a few 300+ mile ones without Superchargers. Then again, ice and snow is a foreign concept down here.