Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While on our teslaroadtrip I was updating my Facebook with trip details.
I had posted that my car was tweeting details and concerned that she might soon be asking for her own match.com account.
My daughter posted the following response...
"I don't think your car needs a Match.com account-she's found her perfect match in you! Valerie might need a Match.com account if you keep spending so much time with that Tesla lady:)"
Get no respect from kids anymore. I've told my daughter many times that her name is Nicoletta, NOT "that Tesla lady"! :wink:

I've been reading this thread intently since the beginning. To say I'm outraged by the NYTimes is an understatement, but particularly so since the 2/22 piece. This is an outrageously biased piece of "reporting," as many have already noted. I've learned long ago to be skeptical of the accuracy of any media outlet. I've seen bias, inaccuracies, and outright lies far too many times. I read the NYTimes every day, but I am always on guard and aware that what I ready may not be true. I just wish that everyone read it the same way, but I think most who read the Times view it as the last word.

My Model S is due for delivery to my home in the Northeast soon (hopefully within the next 1-2 weeks). I am now strongly considering flying to SF and picking up the car at the factory. Then, to prove that it is indeed possible (with a bit of planning) to drive it across the US without much difficulty. Having said that, I also believe the focus on long-distance driving is terribly and tragically misplaced. As well all know, the typical driver doesn't drive anywhere near the limits of the Model S's range in a single day. Range is really a total non-issue 99% of the time. But, it's what everyone seems to want to talk about. It saddens me that this mis-focus could stand in the way of widespread adoption of a technology that is exciting and potentially world-changing.

I'd like to thank stevezzzz for a thoughtfully crafted letter. He is absolutely right, but his words will likely never find the light of day on the pages of the NYTimes.

I'd like to thank stevezzzz for a thoughtfully crafted letter. He is absolutely right, but his words will likely never find the light of day on the pages of the NYTimes.

You're welcome, Borgie: can't let the gray lady get away with stuff like this without a fight. I haven't heard back from either the NY Times Public Editor (who functions as an ombudsman) or the Op-Ed desk (I've sent them both letters), but there is one minor victory to report: the day after I sent my letter to the Public Editor, the online version of the 2/22 story was modified to link to both my original post (the one they lifted a quote from) and the follow-up post where I responded to learning I'd been quoted out of context and without my knowledge or permission.

Yeah, but I 'm just so mad about the range "controversy" that I just feel like piling on. I may not do it, as I've worked on an itinerary and it takes me way south to avoid the snow. May not be worth it. But....it's a thought!
Yep, at this time of the year, you'll almost certainly have to use I-20 or similar routes. Most of your charging will be at RV sites with "50 Amp service," but most RV campgrounds in snowy climes are closed for the winter.

While I agree that range driving for distance represents a very small % of average use, I think the Tesla has created a conundrum. Because "Tess" is so d*** much fun to drive, driving a distance seems important and desirable. So unless Tesla dumbs down the car and makes it less enjoyable to drive, range will remain an issue.

While I agree that range driving for distance represents a very small % of average use, I think the Tesla has created a conundrum. Because "Tess" is so d*** much fun to drive, driving a distance seems important and desirable. So unless Tesla dumbs down the car and makes it less enjoyable to drive, range will remain an issue.

I think the Model S goes far enough to show that range will become less and less of an issue, as infrastructure (and battery technology) improves.

Even with Tesla just building more Superchargers, electric cars on freeways, and re-charging at stops, will become part of life, and end of this year, the general perception of electric cars will have changed.

Can you point me to details of it?
Check out the the blog Electric Road Trips in an S | Road Trips in an all electric Tesla Model S written by one of TMC regulars. Unfortunately he stopped doing entries a little over half way. The other trip was done fairly early in the release of the Signatures and was done by a young couple going from the Fremont factory to Wash DC. It is documented somewhere in TMC.

Note to Mods: Any chance we could get a dedicated area somewhere for road trips?

Interesting piece on Brodergate by James Poniewozik in the latest issue of Time magazine:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361849789.738277.jpg

Dead Tree Alert: The Charged Debate Between Tesla and the Times | TIME.com

Get no respect from kids anymore. I've told my daughter many times that her name is Nicoletta, NOT "that Tesla lady"! :wink:
And this, boys and girls, is why teslasguy is sleeping in the Model S each night rather than next to his wife. Originally, he did it as a lark to "test the seats" but his wife took away his house keys after that.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree that range driving for distance represents a very small % of average use, I think the Tesla has created a conundrum. Because "Tess" is so d*** much fun to drive, driving a distance seems important and desirable.
I somewhat agree with you on this one. I'm very quickly building an unhealthy hatred for < 220V/40A charging.

So unless Tesla dumbs down the car and makes it less enjoyable to drive, range will remain an issue.
Hush. Don't even whisper of such a notion!