Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone up my way want to be my copilot? I may even let you drive :smile:
I'm not sure I'm going yet (I'm not free until late tomorrow eve) but having a copilot would make it easier and thus more likely ...

Lol, I'd totally take you up on it except for being about as far away from you as I could get and still be in the Continental U.S. Sucks in a way cause I am flying up to Manhattan 3 weeks from Saturday. Would have loved to move up that schedule, but c'est la vie :)

Anyone up my way want to be my copilot? I may even let you drive :smile:
I'm not sure I'm going yet (I'm not free until late tomorrow eve) but having a copilot would make it easier and thus more likely ...

First of all I'm both amazed and excited that so many people are doing this! I'd join you but we just finalized our order last week (delivery date in March).

Ben, we met in the Boston store way back in September or October , I believe. I'll have to ask the boss in the morning but if she agrees, I'd love to copilot. I'm based in Glastonbury, CT. Will let you know ASAP.

Jason

All -

PureAmps is helping us to tweet the trip.... I just sent him my information to tweet the stats of my car - hopefully starting later today. I'm leaving at 3pm today for Rockville, MD and will be staying at a gracious forum members home (thanks Peter!) and will be able to charge up my S overnight. Then a short drive to Rockville at 9am tomorrow morning to meet the other 2 for our first leg!

Once we have the twitter page set up - I'll post the link here! I'm assuming we can post pics to that account as well...

Aaron

------------------- Update

Created a twitter page for the trip! Follow us!

https://twitter.com/TeslaRoadTrip

Last edited:
Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - We're on This Weekend!

All -

Many of you know by now - from the other thread that this weekend 6 of us East Coast Model S owners will be recreating the NY Times Article road trip. I've set up a Twitter page for all of you to follow us on. We'll be posting pictures and @PureAmps is setting up some of our cars to tweet along the trip!

http://twitter.com/TeslaRoadTrip

Join the trip with us!

Aaron

Michael

Supposed to be snow by tomorrow morning. Overnight temps Saturday into Sunday in Groton, CT (where the reporter stayed - and where we're staying) are supposed to be 21 degrees...

There will be 3 of us staying overnight. At least one of us will stay *unplugged* to compare. We will do a full Range Charge in Milford, CT on the way to Groton - so we should all be fine even if we don't plug in overnight.

Aaron

Thanks to all of you who have shown support for our endeavor - it's great to see the encouragment from Norway, Netherlands, Italy, and across the USA. This was a major influence in my decision to participate.

The call last night was most encouraging, and i'm excited to get started down to Jersey tonignt. A few more thoughts:

- note that the CNN Money headline story is "Can a Tesla Model S make it from Washington D.C. to New England without riding on a flatbed truck?" - the answer is a resounding yes - we now know what we're doing is newsworthy, and we should be able to attract attention with at least 6 Telsa doing the trip in a show of passion for the technology and company

- We'll be planning the final route in Wilmington tomorroow. I'm going to lobby strongly to take the Lincoln tunnel, go cross-town with a brief stop in Times Square, and then over the RFK rather than the GW - it would be good to attract some attention in Times Square - perhaps we can alert a NY News Station or a Times competitor - and show support for Elon, the company and technology

- Finding a hotel in NJ that is accommodative of electric vechiles is not small challenge; when making the 1st inquiry, the typical reception is 'are you from Pluto' - Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott - all the same. Finally found an enlighted front desk at Homewood Suites in Somerset - who is willing to rope off a stop for me with 110 access (note: one hotel did have charging stations by NEMA 5-20, for which i don't believe we have an adapter)

- Thanks to teslaguy for arranging for the philly news to meet us in Wilmington - that should be fun

I can't wait to get started!!