Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally Posted by cinergi viewpost-right.png Thanks Al. I'm sure we're on the same page -- I'm basically just saying there's a difference between saying "hey, I'm outraged" and "haha here's a picture of you in a urinal you $@#@" ...
No need to apologize for feeling angry.
What about our Broder memes?
I say bring em on. Let's be real here, either through ignorance or intent, probably both, Broder wrote an inaccurate piece that could do nothing but damage the company and the EV movement we are obviously all so passionate about. Sure we can take the high road, but let's not worry about being that much more elevated. At least the urinal was one step up from the "number two" choice :wink:

Great job guys! I wish I could have joined but don't have my model S (in the next few weeks I hope) and live a bit too far away.

It may not be possible because your data tracking may not have been turned on, but it would be really interesting to plot exactly the same data for your cars that Elon posted for Broder. The way I would be tempted to display that data is to take average of your all data (basically this would reduce noise) and then plot that average on the same plot as Broder's data but in a different color. That way one could clearly see in a quantifiable way the difference in range between doing things intelligently and doing what Broder did.

I can't tell you all how amazing it felt to get into my S this morning after the road trip. I was already passionate about the car. There are no words to describe how much more amazed i am now that i've pushed it a bit and seen what it can do under some quite challenging conditions.

I no longer think of the S as a really cool electric car that needs babying. I now know that i own a world-class performance car that happens to be electric.

Let's get that infrastructure built out to remove the only remaining barriers. With the brilliance at Tesla, this can only get better over time. And the impact on the country and planet to boot!

Biggest challenges were NYC traffic (horrible) and weather. Strong winds, near whiteout snowstorm late at night through Connecticut, and what appeared to be black ice on i95 during our final first day run to Groton. I did not plug in overnight at the hotel in Groton, but only dropped less than 20 miles of rated range overnight in the roughly 20F icy weather overnight. In the morning we did the Stonington, Conn detour (where Broder went for breakfast) before turning around to head South for Milford. And we all arrived in Milford with lots of spare electrons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All -

Final stats on my car from the trip: Westchester, NY -> Rockville, MD -> Groton, CT -> Stonington, CT -> Home Westchester, NY

781.8 - Miles Driven
263.3 - Kwh Used
337 - Wh/mile

Pretty amazing for so much driving in winter, cold, snow and that headwind yesterday coming all the way back from Stonington!

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

And also -

Tesla is looking into (via the logs) why teslasguy (John's) car was the only one to use more energy than the rest of our cars, which were nearly identical throughout the trip....

Under full consideration of Ben's 'take the high road' guidance, i think it's ok to cite entries into well-known sources such as the Urban dictionary. Peter pointed this one out to the road trippers in an email:

Urban Dictionary

Broder

to waste time and/or energy in an attempt to fail at some task

1. I didn't want to go to the meeting so I Brodered back and forth between my office and the lunch room for 15 minutes until it started. Then I didn't go because it would have been rude to show up late.
2. I didn't want to have hamburgers again today, so last night I Brodered all the propane away by leaving the barbeque running after I was done cooking.

All -

Final stats on my car from the trip: Westchester, NY -> Rockville, MD -> Groton, CT -> Stonington, CT -> Home Westchester, NY

781.8 - Miles Driven
263.3 - Kwh Used
337 - Wh/mile

Pretty amazing for so much driving in winter, cold, snow and that headwind yesterday coming all the way back from Stonington!

Aaron

Once again, thank you guys so much for the phenomenal work, you make us all proud!
You mentioned earlier asking Tesla if you guys could get the logs for the trip. Did they get back to you on that?

Under full consideration of Ben's 'take the high road' guidance, i think it's ok to cite entries into well-known sources such as the Urban dictionary. Peter pointed this one out to the road trippers in an email:

Urban Dictionary

Broder

to waste time and/or energy in an attempt to fail at some task

1. I didn't want to go to the meeting so I Brodered back and forth between my office and the lunch room for 15 minutes until it started. Then I didn't go because it would have been rude to show up late.
2. I didn't want to have hamburgers again today, so last night I Brodered all the propane away by leaving the barbeque running after I was done cooking.

funny, love it. Could not resist and tweeted from the Urban page:
NY Times - Tesla Model S Reviewer makes name for himself: Broder on @urbandictionary broder.urbanup.com/6950296 #tesla #models

funny, love it. Could not resist and tweeted from the Urban page:
NY Times - Tesla Model S Reviewer makes name for himself: Broder on @urbandictionary broder.urbanup.com/6950296 #tesla #models

Meh - I REFUSE to give him even an ounce of notoriety from this - whether good OR bad...

Next thing you know, he'll be famous for being a verb, everyone will want to interview him, etc...
No thanks - I'd rather let him simmer and boil in Interwebz hostility, and fade away back to the absolutely nothing that he was before this happened. Maybe this was his plan? He's now famous, and an Internet Verb?!?

I'm still curious about how quiet they've been.

I guess it's well to assume they told him to keep his trap shut, and stay the *#^$% off of twitter...
He hasn't posted since his 2/14 rebuttal to Elon where he claims to drive in circles looking for the Supercharger, and the editor not since 2/16.

Ok guys I think the new title for your little expedition should be: Tesla Road Trip - No Compromises!

Great job all... you just proved that as long as you fuel properly (just like an ICE) a road trip in a Tesla is a just as easy as traveling in any other vehicle.

Is there a photo of navigation screen with directions to where exactly is charging station at Milford parking lot?

There is YouTube recording of voice navigation, but I need pics :)

I agree it would be nice to see what it looks like on the 17" screen because here is what it looks like on the computer when searched, looks pretty spot on.

ctcharger.jpg

One correction--I left a comment, but it's awaiting moderation--the trip started at the Rockville SC, at least from the pictures and what I'd read...not the DC store...no?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I also meant to say, great blog post, and really cool road trip, folks! A groovy testament to what you can do with the car and how well it performs, even in adverse conditions (cold, snow, wind, negative publicity ;-) ).