TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

RECURRING EVENT: Cars & Coffee at duPont Registry in St. Petersburg

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Larry Chanin, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#1 Larry Chanin, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Hi,

This morning I took my Model S over to the Cars & Coffee event at duPont Registry Magazine in Saint Petersburg, Florida. I went with forum member Ken Stokes and my buddy Bill (a Corvette owner) who both are "car guys". I've never been a "car guy" so this was a novel experience for me. The event is informal and free and lots of exotic cars show their stuff there. It is held from 7:00-9:00AM on every third Saturday at 3051 Tech Drive, St. Petersburg, FL. I went to "scope" things out for a possible club event for club members in the Tampa/Sarasota region.

To be assured a good parking spot the organizers recommend getting there before 7:00AM. Well, I'm not much of a morning person, but I had to get up at 5:00AM to make it over to St. Pete at a reasonable hour. Nevertheless, we arrived at 7:30AM and cars were parked all the waaay down the street by then. I figured I shouldn't have trouble playing DUMB so I glided the Model S over to the front near the premium spots and asked the General Manager of the event, "Am I too late to get a parking spot?" He looked at the Model S and his face lit up with a look of recognition as if I were his long-lost brother. "Sure", he said, "follow me." I followed to a reserved spot he moved the parking cone and we pulled in across from the Rolls Royces and Lamborghinis, and the crowds moved from the Lambo over to the Model S. :redface:

Larry at Cars and Coffee.jpg

Larry and the duPont Registry crowds.jpg

Larry and the duPont Registry crowds 2.jpg

Although I doubt that I can sneek a half dozen or so Model S' in late in the future, how many Florida Tesla Motors Club members would be interested in meeting at duPont Registry EARLY (before 7:00AM) on February 16th?

Larry

2. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

We might be able to make that.

3. ClearwaterBchSteve

ClearwaterBchSteve P445 / VIN 1794

Larry, next time - let us know and we'll be there! I've been to Cars and Coffee before - just not with the Model S. Glad you had fun! Yes, you are the Club founder and needed to make the first appearance - understood :wink:

4. Gavin Stark

Gavin Stark Member

Larry, I actually considered going this morning. I'm probably good for next time. Perhaps we can get all parked together?

5. Larry Chanin

#5 Larry Chanin, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Hi Gavin,

Getting them parked together would require that everyone arrive early, i.e. before 7:00AM. For those of us in Sarasota that would mean getting on the road no later than 5:45AM. As I said a tough thing to do if you're like me and not a morning person. :redface:

Larry

6. TampaLiam

TampaLiam Secret Agent

If we get enough Model S' together, we can have our own category at car shows ;)

....but then how would they be judged over one another?!?

I don't mind battling other Pontiacs with the 68 Firebird 400 Convertible... but Tesla on Tesla?

7. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

I would be interested in that too

8. Larry Chanin

Hi Liam,

As far as I know this is not a car show with prizes, but just a social gathering.

Larry

9. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

I'd be up for it some other month. Traveling that wknd in Feb. Scope out any good charging around? I'd probably need 2 hrs of J1772 or NEMA 14-50 to get back to the other side of the state reasonably fast.

10. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Lithia is just a few miles south of I-4 near Brandon. My garage is always available. (NEMA 14-50)

11. ClearwaterBchSteve

Larry, we could do Feb 16th. I don't like getting up early either, but it would be more fun to go to the event while Tesla is still relatively unknown in the car world. That's changing rapidly!

12. Gavin Stark

Gavin Stark Member

I'd be good for that date too. I have several friends who go in their Audi and BMWs and I've been once in the past.

13. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Ill be unable to attend unfortunately!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. ClearwaterBchSteve

Gavin and Larry: Let's do it!

15. Larry Chanin

Fellow Club Members in the Tampa/Sarasota area,

I know a number of you have recently received your Model S and are anxious to show it off. Every third Saturday of the month the duPont Registry Magazine hosts a free event called Cars & Coffee. It is an informal gathering of classic, luxury and exotic cars for car enthusiasts.

I have discussed the attendance of about 6 or so of our club members with the General Manager of the event and he can arrange to have about 6 adjacent spaces reserved for members of our club. There's a catch: WE HAVE TO GET THERE BEFORE 7:00AM or he can't guarantee the spots will be available.

Where: duPont Registry
    3501 Tech Drive
    St. Petersburg, FL 33716

Date: Saturday, February 16th

When: Before 7:00AM
    ends 9:00AM

Those who can't make it there before 7:00AM will probably not be able to display their cars, but you can probably find street parking and join those members who are displaying as well as check out the other exotic cars.

For those of you who are interested in attending, please let me know as soon as possible, but no later than February 9th.

I look forward to seeing you.

Larry

P.S. The above posting is directed to folks who would like to display their cars. We also welcome other folks in the area to join us.

16. joer00

joer00 Member

I will be there, just send a message to Larry and Klaus. Also hate to wake up early, but this is the fist time meeting anybody from the group.

Joe

17. ClearwaterBchSteve

We'll be there and have confirmed with Larry.

18. Larry Chanin

I sent an email to the General Manager of the Cars & Coffee event to reserve 7 spots for us. I haven't received an acknowledgement, but I don't anticipate a problem. I'll reach out again to him to confirm in a few days.

I've received responses from 7 club members who intend to display their cars and I believe that is all the display parking spaces we can reasonably expect duPont to reserve, assuming we arrive before 7:00AM. People who have confirmed a spot but arrive later than 7:00AM will be able to view the cars, but you will have to park on the street and you won't be able to display your car.

I want to let other club members, or other local Tesla enthusiasts, to know that we welcome them to join us to chat at the display area, but the original 7 spots are accounted for and there won't be any more spaces to display additional cars.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly at [email protected].

Larry Chanin
    Founder, Florida Tesla Motors Club

19. Larry Chanin

Well, it looks like we're receiving top billing.

Cars and Coffee.jpg

We'll probably want to leave a little early and head over to a nearby Bob Evans for breakfast.

See you there tomorrow morning.

Larry

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Very cool! Have fun guys, we'll be at Kennedy Space Center tomorrow and I'll make a pitch for a charge station while I'm there.