Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recurring Loud Creaking Noise in Front Suspension / Steering Column

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of one of the first Tesla X's in Hong Kong (early 2017) and the front suspension and steering column started to make loud creaking noises in Oct 2017. Since then, the car has been in the Tesla workshop for several visits:
- they tried a few quick fixes to no avail (Nov 2017)
- they made me drive around with a creaking car during most of Nov and Dec 2017
- the garage finally got their act together and installed a (new?) suspension on 14 Dec 2017
- the pleasure of driving a normal, non-creaking car was unfortunately short-lived as the car starting to make creaking noises again in Feb 2018
- I asked for a service to fix this issue on 27 Feb 2018 and managed to get an allocation on 8 Mar 2018
- They had the car for a few hours, and whilst the creaking disappeared for a few days, it reappeared on 10 Mar 2018 and I managed to get an appointment for this to be fixed in early Apr 2018
- it was a big relief to drive a non-creaking car for most of the summer of 2018
- Then, a few weeks ago in Sep 2018, the creaking re-appeared. I now have another appointment for 12 Oct 2018 to bring in the car again...

In summary, during the course of 18 months of ownership, this creaking issue meant that the car has been in the garage for several weeks, and I have been driving a creaking car for 3 months, if not more.

This is UNACCEPTABLE and seems a structural design flaw.

is there anyone out there with similar issues? What would be the right course of action for me given the seemingly structural nature of this problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and scsmx
My car creaks a bit. I think it is pretty common. In my case it is coming from the rear and front arm attachment points on driver side. I do not believe it is a safety issue, but is a bit annoying.

I will probably just get under the car and inspect it myself before taking it in. Arm bushing noise can sometimes be cured with shot of LPS 2 or similar lubricants.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Mine creaks too, mostly in tight turns at slow speeds. There was also a guy on Youtube who showed that if the hillholder brake is set, steering will always make noise until the brakes release. But your case seems more drastic? Or are you talking about low speed creaks and groans?

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Thanks for the comments. My creaking is indeed very loud and pretty much continuous - unfortunately not something that can be solved with a shot of lubricants. It is so loud that people turn their heads when I drive by them!

My 2018 X100D started creaking at low speeds in tights turns (like parking) within two months. Service center said the front Bash plate was loose, and it was a common issue. They re-torqued and greased the plate and it's gone (for now — fingers crossed). That might help you!

• Informative
Reactions: 1speed
Thanks for the comments. The car just spent a few days in the service centre and the creaking has gone. Per my original post, I am afraid the creaking will re-appear so I will - yet again - keep my fingers crossed and keep you all posted.

It is not normal for any new car to creak, let alone a $100,000+ premium SUV. Something is definitely wrong with it.
Really? My 2016 and 2018 both creaked and rattled. I took my cars in for service and they confirmed the noise. They tried to reduce the noises as much as possible and I take their word for it for trying their best. Both cars still had noises but I lived with them. The tech confirmed that being a SUV sitting higher it has more body flexes so they consider the noises normal and is impossible to get rid of them completely.

Mine creaks too, mostly in tight turns at slow speeds. There was also a guy on Youtube who showed that if the hillholder brake is set, steering will always make noise until the brakes release. But your case seems more drastic? Or are you talking about low speed creaks and groans?

Yeah, my front suspension sometimes creaks a fair bit when tight manoeuvring at very low speed with the brakes on, especially on a steep hill. It never does it when driving normally though, which would be unacceptable for me. I put it down to a feature of the model as it hasn't caused any other issues.

is there anyone out there with similar issues? What would be the right course of action for me given the seemingly structural nature of this problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mine creaked for several months after I took delivery, but I recognized it as the suspension breaking in, after about 5-6 months it went away as I expected it would.