TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Recycling of li-ion battery packs

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Lbyfz450, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Lbyfz450

Lbyfz450 Member

Often I will get into discussions about ev's with people, and it sometimes gets to the point where people say "but the lithium and elements need to be mined, eventually at massive scale too which is detrimental"
    To which I reply, " yes, but once the elements are mined, you're done, you keep recycling the battery and charging off (eventually) all renewable energies)

Is this true?

When a pack is past its degraded usable life and gets recycled, are all the elements still recoverable and usable? What degraded? Will more products need to be mined/extracted to build the "new" pack?

Thanks for any insight:)

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I'm pretty sure that Elon/JB said that they plan to recycle and that new elements won't be needed. But I don't think they have said nothing new will be needed, but yes once there are enough packs the life cycle should be complete.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

• Informative x 1
  4. Lbyfz450

Lbyfz450 Member

Sweet thanks guys!