Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red “Camper” Trailer Mode Icon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the last leg of a 400 mile trip at the top left of my monitor every once and a while for a few seconds a red “camper” trailer mode icon appears and then disappears. I’m not towing anything. I looked in the menu and I don’t even have the ability to turn trailer mode on or off. Anyone else have this happen to them. Does it affect anything while driving? Should I do a service call about it?

From what I've read if you have the tow hitch and wiring installed your Y will automatically go over to Tow mode if you plug in a trailer connector. If you do have trailer wiring I would guess at either an intermittent short or even dirt across the wiring contacts. If not, it'd be worth checking with service.

On the last leg of a 400 mile trip at the top left of my monitor every once and a while for a few seconds a red “camper” trailer mode icon appears and then disappears. I’m not towing anything. I looked in the menu and I don’t even have the ability to turn trailer mode on or off. Anyone else have this happen to them. Does it affect anything while driving? Should I do a service call about it?
I had this issue from day 1 (last month) in my MY. Took it to SC and was told it was a wiring issue. They swapped a cable (days later), and haven't seen it since.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I have seen this come up on my Model X when I'm actually hauling a trailer but the 7-pin isn't connected properly. It happens when the car detects a load. Yours is likely some kind of other electrical issue, but do you notice extra drag on the car?

Yesterday I towed an aluminum cargo trailer, everything was perfect, all except the crazy hit on range, wow! I went from averaging around 230ish wh/m to a whopping 680 wh/m on same home-work-home round trip normal SOC is 80% and back home with 50-55%, this time I arrived with only 36% and I wasn't hauling anything heavy, just a generator and a couple deck chairs that wouldn't fit inside.
All the lights worked perfect.
I disconnected the trailer and I had the red trailer icon on the lower left.
I tried doing the reboot sequence, even tried the hold brake peddle with the two steering wheel buttons, it did not go off. Nothing was connected to the trailer outlet on the car.
So I searched a bit and found that the trailer mode STAYS ON. Not sure why, but as of this version it does. Simple to just go to the car icon, driving scroll down and disable the trailer mode. I hope this helps others.

New video by Rob Cossin