Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red/Black LR AWD Delivered and Settling In Nicely...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered this in September last year and were VERY surprised to be so early on the delivery (23xx VIN) We took delivery at the Austin Pond-Springs location on Wednesday the 25th, which was pretty seamless. We live up north a bit in Liberty Hill, and there aren't too many Tesla Vehicles out here in our corner of Hill Country yet.

Waiting on USAA to realize this is a LR AWD and not/not a Performance. For some reason their system has 5YJYGDEF1LFXXXXXX cars as P and not AWD yet...

New to Tesla and my wife (whose car this is) is really enjoying everything so far. She is loving the torque and actually a bit of a speed demon. She smoked a tuner kid in a 370Z on the day of delivery from a light when he was trying to drag us. She didn't even know, I had to tell her! Even in LR AWD guise, this thing is plenty fast when needed to be (merging with Texas Trucks, smoking tuner kids, getting away from the HEB lines..) I am a huge fan of the roof. And even in the Texas sun/heat we had the last few days, I wasn't getting baked near as much as I feared. Also believe this car is nice and quiet. No rattles yet, and wind/road noise is not bad at all.

A few of the normal glitches (paint issues in the usual spots -hood, high on front quarters, bolts above the rear hatch-, right rear seat back coming loose, right rear coat hook won't retract) but nothing that would cause us to refuse receipt. I have a mobile service appointment scheduled to address some of the above and install the Home Link.

If you look close through the windows below, you can see the Wall Connector we had installed as well. 48 amps and loving the ease of it. Our charging handle was a very tight fit into the receptacle initially, but has grown easier to insert and remove over time. We probably could have gotten away with some of the other charging options, but this set up has been worth it IMO and I really like the seamless connectivity of it all.

Here is Lady Bug in her new nest:

Lady Bug.jpeg

Good luck to everyone waiting delivery, hoping the Coronavirus doesn't keep things disrupted too much longer, and hopefully everyone who has taken one on is as pleased with it as we are.

SS

A almost two week update:

After some running around today, did some quick figuring, based on what we pay for power. We've put just under 333 miles on the vehicle, which is about what she used to get out of a tank. We consumed 95 kWh doing so, averaging 285 Wh/mi. That cost us a whopping $8.19.
Even with Regular Unleaded down to $1.45/gallon here, we really are going to cut our costs by 1/3 or more (once traffic picks back up and Mrs Lead Foot has to ease of the juice...)
Love it!

Last edited:
A almost two week update:

After some running around today, did some quick figuring, based on what we pay for power. We've put just under 333 miles on the vehicle, which is about what she used to get out of a tank. We consumed 95 kWh doing so, averaging 285 Wh/mi. That cost us a whopping $8.19.
Even with Regular Unleaded down to $1.45/gallon here, we really are going to cut our costs by 1/3 or more (once traffic picks back up and Mrs Lead Foot has to ease of the juice...)
Love it!

Just curious how your 95kwh was calculated. Do you have it on a separate meter or anything? If you're just reading from the vehicle screen then it's missing a lot of vampire losses.
If you're new to tesla and a data geek, I recommend hooking up to teslafi or run your own data logger to get more accurate reading plus other cool data.

Ordered this in September last year and were VERY surprised to be so early on the delivery (23xx VIN) We took delivery at the Austin Pond-Springs location on Wednesday the 25th, which was pretty seamless. We live up north a bit in Liberty Hill, and there aren't too many Tesla Vehicles out here in our corner of Hill Country yet.

Waiting on USAA to realize this is a LR AWD and not/not a Performance. For some reason their system has 5YJYGDEF1LFXXXXXX cars as P and not AWD yet...

New to Tesla and my wife (whose car this is) is really enjoying everything so far. She is loving the torque and actually a bit of a speed demon. She smoked a tuner kid in a 370Z on the day of delivery from a light when he was trying to drag us. She didn't even know, I had to tell her! Even in LR AWD guise, this thing is plenty fast when needed to be (merging with Texas Trucks, smoking tuner kids, getting away from the HEB lines..) I am a huge fan of the roof. And even in the Texas sun/heat we had the last few days, I wasn't getting baked near as much as I feared. Also believe this car is nice and quiet. No rattles yet, and wind/road noise is not bad at all.

A few of the normal glitches (paint issues in the usual spots -hood, high on front quarters, bolts above the rear hatch-, right rear seat back coming loose, right rear coat hook won't retract) but nothing that would cause us to refuse receipt. I have a mobile service appointment scheduled to address some of the above and install the Home Link.

If you look close through the windows below, you can see the Wall Connector we had installed as well. 48 amps and loving the ease of it. Our charging handle was a very tight fit into the receptacle initially, but has grown easier to insert and remove over time. We probably could have gotten away with some of the other charging options, but this set up has been worth it IMO and I really like the seamless connectivity of it all.

Here is Lady Bug in her new nest:

View attachment 526590

Good luck to everyone waiting delivery, hoping the Coronavirus doesn't keep things disrupted too much longer, and hopefully everyone who has taken one on is as pleased with it as we are.

SS
Nice looking car. Red with Black wheels looks awesome. We currently own a Tesla Model X and we almost model 3 , but decided to go with a model Y after taking a look at it at Austin Pond springs; unfortunately due to Covid situation they didn't let me take a look at the interior. I saw some youtube videos that model Y has comfortable Rear seats than model X. Hopefully we will run into your car sometime soon. There are many tesla's in crystal falls neighborhood , but yet to see a Model Y.

Congrats - nice car!

Any more comments on the car itself - driving, surprises, technology, comfort?
Thanks. I have to say, even with the little issues at delivery, it's been a joy. Most importantly, we bought this for my wife and she's really taken to it. Loves the drive and simplicity, and she's even come around on charging at home. She's not a fan of all the automated driving features yet, but easing in slowly. I love them and have used everything since the cameras were all synched and ready to use.

For me, coming into this not expecting a luxury car but a dependable, easy to use, and extremely efficient vehicle has been key.

Love it and definitely looking forward to replacing the Tacoma with the Cybertruck. I think we won the lottery on this as far as build and delivery time, having ordered so recently. Maybe our luck will hold on the truck and it won't be several years before we get the nod.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Just curious how your 95kwh was calculated. Do you have it on a separate meter or anything? If you're just reading from the vehicle screen then it's missing a lot of vampire losses.
If you're new to tesla and a data geek, I recommend hooking up to teslafi or run your own data logger to get more accurate reading plus other cool data.

Well...

I sorta got into this in a different thread... I don't think breaking out the driving energy from the other energy expended is necessary in my case. It's all part of the whole, and the vehicle is actually driving more efficiently than indicated then, even if it's just a rounding error. I just don't see those as parasitic or 'vampirific' as they are part of the system as designed... Shorts, or some other BS. Different issue. Loses due to Sentry or Summon, all good in my book.

I know some Model 3 owners are incredulous, but I think this thing is very, very well put together and some lessons learned have definitely been applied. Given its size and weight, the vehicle rocks and is a keeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRG21
...I know some Model 3 owners are incredulous, but I think this thing is very, very well put together and some lessons learned have definitely been applied....

There have been issues, but those get lots more airtime than vehicles with no or few problems do.

Look at CR's "If you had it to do over, would you buy this car again?" rating - 95% - highest ever in their survey, and more representative of what owners think, IMO.

Speeds have been between 0 and 70, with most being @ 35-45. Mix of City, Rural, and Highway.

Temps have been between 40 and 90.The last two weeks, which have been markedly more efficient than the first two, being mostly high 80s. Climate has been on, while we've been in the car, set at 70-72. Summon Standby and Sentry, at home, are off. Remote access is on.

Car has been plugged into a Wall Connector when not driving. Set to Max of 80% charging at 0200 nightly. I have charged, as shown in a separate post, to 100% once, the first week, and it showed 315 miles of range then. I'll do that again before a road trip here once we get back to a new normal...

Last edited: