Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Brake Calipers for X 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

XHokie

Supporting Member
May 27, 2016
NoVA
While browsing the Model S Gear Store, I just noticed that Tesla now sells the red brake calipers for the Model S. I assume this means you no longer have to own a Performance Model S to get these installed? Does anyone know or think they will eventually allow Model X owners of the 75D or 90D models to do the same...purchase them from Tesla after delivery and get them installed via a Tesla SC?

Model S Red Brake Calipers Set

Agreed on both counts...definitely not cost effective and provides more of an aesthetic modification. I assume the brake calipers themselves are exactly the same as non-red Tesla calipers (i.e. one is not Brembo vs. a more "generic" OEM)?

since most people rarely use the brake thanks to the regen brake. i wonder what is the purpose of the calipers set? just to make it like a supercar, or really have good purpose?
There are very important reasons supercars have such massive brakes. Sure they look cool but you have to remember the velocities that supercars achieve and have to be able to stop from.

Teslas are fairly large heavy (2 to 2.5 tons) vehicles and they need to be able to stop in an emergency situation in as short a distance as possible.

Agreed on both counts...definitely not cost effective and provides more of an aesthetic modification. I assume the brake calipers themselves are exactly the same as non-red Tesla calipers (i.e. one is not Brembo vs. a more "generic" OEM)?
They should be the same brakes. There has not been any indication from Tesla that they are different. The red calipers are entirely aesthetic.

Last edited:
$15.00 and an afternoon of your time.

Z3B3F-fo5oy.JPG