Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Brake Calipers - incredible work and price!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I just got my model 3 calipers painted red with Spence and they look awesome! I had previously read this thread and tried calling before my appointment to ask about what's been done to fix the premature flaking/peeling but couldn't get a call-back. I'm counting on the noted fixes: from Tony_YYZ's post on SpenceTire's behalf: "implemented a new technique in place closer to the end of last summer [2018] to help provide a longer lasting finish" and later YusufT's post about "new primer solution".

You can bet that, if I have troubles, I'll be reminded to come back here and share.

Hello,
I just got my model 3 calipers painted red with Spence and they look awesome! I had previously read this thread and tried calling before my appointment to ask about what's been done to fix the premature flaking/peeling but couldn't get a call-back. I'm counting on the noted fixes: from Tony_YYZ's post on SpenceTire's behalf: "implemented a new technique in place closer to the end of last summer [2018] to help provide a longer lasting finish" and later YusufT's post about "new primer solution".

You can bet that, if I have troubles, I'll be reminded to come back here and share.
Hey,

I had my calipers re-done a few months ago. Time will tell how they hold up I suppose. I'll also report back as the next winter progresses.

Hi All,

Just wanted to post up an issue that is currently playing out with my car. So my brakes developed a gnarly screech at speeds under 10km/h with light braking. I brought it to Tesla thinking it might be the rear caliper clips that are known to fail on some Model 3’s. Tesla confirmed the noise and took it in to work on, They said they clips are fine and that the cause of the noise is due to the caliper painting.

I was really puzzled by this because I’ve had my calipers painted for quite some time now without issue. They brought me into the back to show me the overspray on the outside edge of the brake pad and rotor, pieces that don’t contact anything during normal brake operation. They insist this is the cause and I now have to pay $200+tx for brake servicing.

I’m kind of peeved that I have to eat this cost but if this was indeed due to the painting of the calipers then I am definitely responsible. The techs explained that because the calipers were painted on the car that this can cause problems.

They are still working on it. I’ll post up the end result when they are done. Just wanted to add this bit of info to the thread. Next time I should just buy the Performance model so that it comes with red calipers, am I right??? o_O

Hi All,

Just wanted to post up an issue that is currently playing out with my car. So my brakes developed a gnarly screech at speeds under 10km/h with light braking. I brought it to Tesla thinking it might be the rear caliper clips that are known to fail on some Model 3’s. Tesla confirmed the noise and took it in to work on, They said they clips are fine and that the cause of the noise is due to the caliper painting.

I was really puzzled by this because I’ve had my calipers painted for quite some time now without issue. They brought me into the back to show me the overspray on the outside edge of the brake pad and rotor, pieces that don’t contact anything during normal brake operation. They insist this is the cause and I now have to pay $200+tx for brake servicing.

I’m kind of peeved that I have to eat this cost but if this was indeed due to the painting of the calipers then I am definitely responsible. The techs explained that because the calipers were painted on the car that this can cause problems.

They are still working on it. I’ll post up the end result when they are done. Just wanted to add this bit of info to the thread. Next time I should just buy the Performance model so that it comes with red calipers, am I right??? o_O

The performance brakes have their own set of quirks and issues especially when wet :p

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
That’s hogwash.

More likely it’s using regen braking all the time and not actually applying your brakes traditionally as much. Brake dust will build up on the rotors and into calipers. Best way to clean it out is to actually make some hard brake runs and everyone and awhile brake as you would an ICE car.

Worked for many with this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
No rust present tho. They are explicitly sticking by their reason of the brake squeal is caused by painting of the calipers and the overspray that occurred.

I agree with their conclusion.
Insert more Disagrees here again please.
The pads and hardware should of been removed. Lots of chemicals in paint that have different reactions to bare metal. And there's absolutely no way to ensure the typ. of paint that was used.

That’s hogwash.

More likely it’s using regen braking all the time and not actually applying your brakes traditionally as much. Brake dust will build up on the rotors and into calipers. Best way to clean it out is to actually make some hard brake runs and everyone and awhile brake as you would an ICE car.

Worked for many with this issue.

I left service and the noise is gone. I tried doing hard braking sessions over several weeks, even driving with regen on low for several days. It didn't help at all. If anything, the squealing intensified as time went on. This isn't my first rodeo with brakes but I thought for sure it was the failed caliper clips. I was wrong.

All is well now. I'm just posting this info as an FYI to anyone that may encounter a similar issue in the future. I got my brake servicing out of it which needed to be done at some point but I thought I would be able to stretch that out to next spring since I've only gone through one winter with the car so far. All in all, it cost me just shy of $200 after tax. Less than I originally expected.

I agree with their conclusion.
Insert more Disagrees here again please.
The pads and hardware should of been removed. Lots of chemicals in paint that have different reactions to bare metal. And there's absolutely no way to ensure the typ. of paint that was used.

Yeah, I agree. The best way is always going to be to disassemble and prep/paint the components off of the car.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I left service and the noise is gone. I tried doing hard braking sessions over several weeks, even driving with regen on low for several days. It didn't help at all. If anything, the squealing intensified as time went on. This isn't my first rodeo with brakes but I thought for sure it was the failed caliper clips. I was wrong.

All is well now. I'm just posting this info as an FYI to anyone that may encounter a similar issue in the future. I got my brake servicing out of it which needed to be done at some point but I thought I would be able to stretch that out to next spring since I've only gone through one winter with the car so far. All in all, it cost me just shy of $200 after tax. Less than I originally expected.

Yeah, I agree. The best way is always going to be to disassemble and prep/paint the components off of the car.
You should probably reach out to the person who did the caliper painting for you, and see if he can offer a partial reimbursement or something since you had to pay out of pocket to fix this due to their work...

Reactions: Ludalicious
You should probably reach out to the person who did the caliper painting for you, and see if he can offer a partial reimbursement or something since you had to pay out of pocket to fix this due to their work...
That's a can of worms I'd rather not get into nor do I have the time to. I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned and if I have to get calipers painted again I'll pursue an option where they are taken off the car and done.

So what did they actually do to 'service' the brakes and correct the issue? Remove the overspray paint?
Typical brake servicing stuff. Took it apart, cleaned everything and lubricated. They said they sanded down some over spray on the pads which were on the outside edges. They also said they "deglazed" the rotors. Not really sure what that last one entails.

This can definitely be had for a better price outside of Tesla. My car was already there and they told me this would fix my problem so I told them to proceed with the work.

I'm going to monitor it over the next couple days to ensure the issue is really gone. Otherwise I'll be booking another appointment.