Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Brake Calipers - incredible work and price!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty happy with the job overall

Are you able to share the details on the caliper rebuild process that they use?

Ok, thanks.

How long did they keep your car from start to finish?
Dropped it off on a Monday morning, and got a call Thursday morning that I could come in to pick it up. Owner of the shop did mention it was a slower week and they say 3-5 days, so I'd imagine it's based on traffic. Also you can pay $500 more to 'fast-track' it to 1-2 days which I assume is a rush hire on the mechanic they bring in, and prioritizing the work over others.

Here's another look at them: Model 3 Powder Coated Brake Calipers

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Bumping an old thread. I had Spence paint my calipers last June (car was a month old). I literally have used a car wash maybe 5 times as I usually wash the car myself.

Have numerous chips in the paint after the winter here. Is they typical after less than a year? Anyone gone back to Spence about it?

Should add…have about 14,000km on the car now and it’s parked indoors day and night.

Bumping an old thread. I had Spence paint my calipers last June (car was a month old). I literally have used a car wash maybe 5 times as I usually wash the car myself.

Have numerous chips in the paint after the winter here. Is they typical after less than a year? Anyone gone back to Spence about it?

Should add…have about 14,000km on the car now and it’s parked indoors day and night.
That’s unfortunately the experience to expect. Spence re-did my rears after they chipped to hell but it happened again over the following year. The fronts held up well but the rears flaked away again.

I advise anyone asking about it to not waste their money on it and to get them powdercoated if you really want the colour changed.

Reactions: akidesir
That’s unfortunately the experience to expect. Spence re-did my rears after they chipped to hell but it happened again over the following year. The fronts held up well but the rears flaked away again.

I advise anyone asking about it to not waste their money on it and to get them powdercoated if you really want the colour changed.
Yeah. Just read so many positive reviews on Spence thought they used a harder paint process.

Almost wonder if it’s cheaper to just powder coat a new set of calipers vs ripping them out, powder coating and waiting days for the car sort of thing.

Anyone find covers that work well?

Yeah. Just read so many positive reviews on Spence thought they used a harder paint process.

Almost wonder if it’s cheaper to just powder coat a new set of calipers vs ripping them out, powder coating and waiting days for the car sort of thing.

Anyone find covers that work well?
A new set of calipers would probably be cost prohibitive. If you can find a used set that would probably be better. They will have to be rebuilt with new seals and stuff but the longest part of the process would be swapping them and bleeding the brakes.

A new set of calipers would probably be cost prohibitive. If you can find a used set that would probably be better. They will have to be rebuilt with new seals and stuff but the longest part of the process would be swapping them and bleeding the brakes.
Yeah looked into it and it’s super expensive.

Wish I hadn’t bothered with Spence but got sucked into all the glowing comments.

Seriously this sort of chipping after 8 months or so is terrible and tells me they didn’t do the proper prep.

C858E362-49B1-4723-B5B3-7134D572B96A.jpeg

Swapped my winter tires out Monday and my tire guy said he could repaint them for $80. They did it on my wife’s Q5 2 or 3 years ago and while there is some chipping it’s nothing like what I’m seeing with the $300 after tax Spence job.

Will just redo it every couple years for less than 1/3rd the cost.

In case someone is looking to get calipers done on the west coast, I had my wheels refinished at Panther Precision Machine in Surrey, BC. While it was in, decided to have them do the calipers in red. 8 months in still looks good as new.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: adave
Yeah looked into it and it’s super expensive.

Wish I hadn’t bothered with Spence but got sucked into all the glowing comments.

Seriously this sort of chipping after 8 months or so is terrible and tells me they didn’t do the proper prep.

View attachment 927732

Swapped my winter tires out Monday and my tire guy said he could repaint them for $80. They did it on my wife’s Q5 2 or 3 years ago and while there is some chipping it’s nothing like what I’m seeing with the $300 after tax Spence job.

Will just redo it every couple years for less than 1/3rd the cost.
Yeah they look great once they are done but go through one winter and the rears are done. Spence also didn’t do a good job at covering some components which lead to my brakes squealing down the road. I took it to Tesla service because I thought the pad retaining clips had gone bad as it was a known issue but they showed me it was because of a ton of overspray. They sanded the areas clean and everything was quiet after that.

In case someone is looking to get calipers done on the west coast, I had my wheels refinished at Panther Precision Machine in Surrey, BC. While it was in, decided to have them do the calipers in red. 8 months in still looks good as new.

The Model S/X use a closed rear caliper design and the paint holds up on those MUCH better than on the Model 3/Y rear calipers.

Yeah they look great once they are done but go through one winter and the rears are done. Spence also didn’t do a good job at covering some components which lead to my brakes squealing down the road. I took it to Tesla service because I thought the pad retaining clips had gone bad as it was a known issue but they showed me it was because of a ton of overspray. They sanded the areas clean and everything was quiet after that.

The Model S/X use a closed rear caliper design and the paint holds up on those MUCH better than on the Model 3/Y rear calipers.

Funny you say that, while they were painting the calipers I also noticed overspray that I thought was odd that they didn't prep the wheel and cover it more. The guy said "won't be seen" when they put the wheel back on. Thankfully they don't make noise, as brake noise drives me nuts.

Wasn't remotely impressed with their service. It looked fantastic once done which maybe is what everyone raves about with Spence, but clearly the calipers weren't properly prepped prior to painting. Again, I expect chipping over time, but even a cheap a** $80 job I had done on my wife's Q5 has lasted way longer. When my tire guy swapped out the winters for summers, first thing he said was "man I hope you didn't pay much for that caliper paint job, they obviously didn't take the time to clean up the calipers before they painted it".

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Had my tire guy grind out then repaint the calipers at 1/3 the cost of Spence. Looks fine and can do it for 3 years in a row vs the cost of Spence even if it only lasts the same amount of time that Spence did.

2B62DEF4-1A0F-476F-9C6F-F813004A72E9.jpeg

4A9D2482-D433-4426-B5CB-E1EE46D59D15.jpeg