TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Red Brake Calipers Wanted

Discussion in 'Model X' started by awesome, Jan 24, 2017.

1. awesome

awesome New Member

Bought a new Model X few weeks ago and the won't let me order the red calipers. Does anyone have a set they are selling that will work for my 75D. I do have 22" black stock rims from Tesla (not sure that matters). Thanks and msg me if you have a pair.

PS: I assume I can install them at a local (non-Tesla) shop like any other calipers...? I don't have a service center in Arkansas so that's another concern. Thanks again.

2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I assume you've already tried ordering a set?

Tesla — Model X Red Brake Calipers Set

There is also a classified section which may help? Additionally, you can paint your calipers red (although they are smaller on the non Performance models) or just order a set of aftermarket Brembos.

3. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

Just have someone paint them red for $300 it's super easy

4. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

you can take it to an auto shop, they can take it off, send it out to get powdercoated and put back on. you would just be down a few days. pretty standard job.

5. James Anders

James Anders Member

2nd the notion of getting a caliper paint kit. If you dont want to do it then pay someone. Very simple, although somewhat time consuming. Much much less expensive.

6. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

Are the red calipers you would order from Tesla as an option (I think $2500) larger in size then standard calipers which come on a MX90D?

7. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Yes

My experience with the P85D was under hard breaking even the performance clippers had a hard time with the weight. For most driving situations they were fine though and with regen you barely use breaks.

8. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

Gotcha......I was thinking of having mine painted as well, did not realize the red calipers ordered from the store are larger in size then what come standard on non-P cars which would somewhat make the $2500 price more attractive

Anyone out here know how much larger in measurements or percentage?

9. outie

outie Active Member

Why did they not let your order a set? Is it because it's not compatible with your car? I know newer Xs don't have the parking brake anymore and this upgrade specifically says not for cars built after 11/2016.

10. awesome

awesome New Member

I'll went ahead and paid the $2300 to order them online and get them done next time I'm in Dallas. Turns out my car was made the day before the cutoff allowing you to buy them! #winning
    But after reading all this, feel like I should have painted them... oh well, I'd rather not mess with it. Thanks all.

11. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

I didn't know that. Do the newer Xs activate the service brake for parking?

12. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

We offer painting brake caliper services and other paint services, such as painting the black trim, locally at our Los Angeles facility.

Our Model X (Project Tifany X) with custom exterior color matched calipers and 22" MX5 Forged Wheels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]