Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red brake calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used Custom Calipers located in Orange County CA. They were mobile, came out, pull the wheel, taped the car off and sprayed the calipers. It was around 600-800 dollars. The big expense is pulling them off, putting them back on and bleeding them. If you can keep them attached the price is much cheaper

I just called the SC and spoke to someone to confirm if warranty on the calipers would be voided if they were painted. He didn't know at first. After checking, he confirmed that the warranty WOULD be voided on the calipers if they are painted.

Has anyone had experience with this before?

Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift
There is probably an attorney around here who can provide further guidance, but I believe that the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act prohibits them from voiding the warranty unless they can prove the modification caused the problem. It’s the responsibility of the manufacturer to prove that the modification caused the problem, not the consumer to prove that it did not.

• Helpful
Reactions: ishareit
Painted. Looks awesome when done.

Attachments

• 52C8C2C8-7CE9-475C-8F59-98764C74D2C8.jpeg
    52C8C2C8-7CE9-475C-8F59-98764C74D2C8.jpeg
    853.1 KB · Views: 2,472
There is probably an attorney around here who can provide further guidance, but I believe that the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act prohibits them from voiding the warranty unless they can prove the modification caused the problem. It’s the responsibility of the manufacturer to prove that the modification caused the problem, not the consumer to prove that it did not.

exactly

Has anyone gone the ForMyTesla route with brushing on two coats and then applying the letters? Seems to be the easiest DIY solution to me. Also, is rear parking brake caliper meant to be red as well? As always, thanks in advance, you forum peeps are the best!
Brushing any paint on metal is going to leave brush strokes and probably hairs. I wouldn't recommend that you do that.

I opted not to powder coat my parking caliper since the P models don't have it on there either.

• Disagree
Reactions: nomis_nehc
Brushing any paint on metal is going to leave brush strokes and probably hairs. I wouldn't recommend that you do that.
Hairs? If you are getting hairs in your paint you need to not use dollar store paint brushes. Also if you get a decent paint that self levels well it won't leave brush marks.

Not saying that's the best way to paint calipers though.

Reactions: nomis_nehc
would recommend against hand painting. I got mine sprayed on the vehicle, TESLA label is then applied and clear coated. I had calipers sprayed and silver slipstreams powder coated for $1,200. it is well worth it to have professionally done.

Attachments

• caliper 1.JPG
    caliper 1.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 1,038
  • caliper 2.jpg
    caliper 2.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Have to agree with jaguar36 that most high quality paints will be somewhat self leveling and a good quality bristle brush will not leave bristles behind. That being said, not sure how to lift all four wheels off the ground to get all calipers done in four hours with two coats plus letters. Any input would be appreciated!