TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Red Brake Calipers

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ricke, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ricke

ricke New Member

Notice that it is now option with Performance Package to have Red Brake Calipers. Does anyone know if this applies to current in production Model S?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

No. In another thread, it sounds like some select P85+ owners were offered to upgrade to the red calipers for $500. I really wanted them, so I asked my DS... I'd have to take the entire new package on my lowly P85 to get them, so I passed.

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

This should not be a $500 option. It should be included.

4. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Tesla has a consistent strategy to add all new options and improvements for $$: parking sensors, red calipers, fog lights, lighting package, electrically folding mirrors.
    If these were free, this place would be filled with howling and screaming that earlier deliveries don't get the new stuff for free, too.

5. mpbruin108

mpbruin108 Member

You can just get yours painted or powdercoated after delivery. I did with mine and it looks as good as if it was stock if not better IMO. It only costed me about 600.

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

LOTS of red calipers at the factory yesterday. Saw at least a dozen cars with them. Looks like they ramped up quickly.

7. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

As of today, I'm showing these as a NO CHARGE option in the Design Studio.

However, they require the P85 trim level.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Yup. Been that way for 2 weeks or so now.

9. lloyds

lloyds Member

I can confirm this as well as a NO charge item. Our 2nd MS is due later this month - hopefully before xmas.

10. jmara

jmara Member

It is not technically "NO charge" as the P85 is now $3,500 pricier than before, albeit the car now comes with the headliner, calipers and I believe the extended nappa trim.

11. lloyds

lloyds Member

Yes you are right. What I meant was that it's not an added option.

12. jmara

jmara Member

I actually wrote to my DS asking that the calipers be put in at no charge only to take a second look at the build price and notice the increase. I had to send a retraction once I figured it out. Oops!

13. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

this would look stunning on my black P85+. Does anyone know where I can have this done locally in Santa Clara, CA? And can it be done so it is just as durable as factory paint?

14. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Don't know about the US, but in Canada the calipers, alcantara headliner, and carbon fiber spoiler are now included or are "no charge" with the P85. Extended Nappa is still optional.

As you mentioned, though, the price has increased such that you are paying for these options whether you "take" them or not. Free, but not really.

15. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

After receiving my car (black) with the black calipers I like those more. Originally I had wanted reds, but now I no longer feel the need for those as the blacks on black look excellent ;)

16. 808inthe510

808inthe510 Member

Today, I picked up from the Fremont Factory, my P85+ with the Red Caliper option added last month....IMO, they look great and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The contrast between the Black body, the 21" Grey Turbines and the Red Calipers is striking. My wife drove the car back from the factory today and the red calipers looked great when the rims were spinning.

17. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

I am looking into aftermarket options now. Hopefully I can find a shop to do it with good quality.

18. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Last week I was at the Tampa Service center when a car truck delivered several new Teslas, one black with red calipers on the grey turbines. It looked incredible! Now I need to find someone in the Tampa area that would be able to paint mine to match the MC Red color of my car.

19. trader

trader Member

Any photos of Model S with red calipers on the standard 19" wheels ?

20. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

I can't understand why would anybody even want red calipers ... they will soon get dirty and it will show very clearly on the red paint. THey won't look good at all then. No way I would ever clean the brake calipers on my car!