Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Brake Warning Light Stays On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brake warning light stays illuminated for about 2 minutes after starting and then goes off.
Model 3 is only 2 days old.

Any thoughts. Service center said not low brake fluid. Sadly its been waiting at the service center to get diagnosed more days then its been on the road.

Anyone have the same problem? Guessing its a sensor issue?

• Informative
Reactions: ponzu
No idea what’s wrong on your car, but I got a brake light on my gas pickup last summer. Lost cruise control at the same time the brake fault activated. I was on a road trip home at the time, but kept driving for another 150 miles until it was obvious something was really wrong. Noise from the front wheel. The bearing on the front right wheel had failed. The bearing hub also contains the wheel speed sensor, which was why the ABS brake system faulted and the cruise control went out. Nothing that $450 and a couple hours on a Sunday at a Firestone along I-80 couldn’t address.

I had this problem on a Ford Fusion. I removed the center console and discovered a switch under the emergency brake handle was a little loose. I repositioned it, tightened it, and and close everything back up. Worked fine after that. The dealership wanted to charge me $500 to fix it.

My brake warning light stays illuminated for about 2 minutes after starting and then goes off.

Any thoughts. Service center said not low brake fluid. Sadly its been waiting at the service center to get diagnosed more days then its been on the road.

EXACT same issue on my car (Delivered on June 30th.) Just made an appointment for Monday AM at the Centinela Service Center. Let me know if you hear anything, and I'll do the same.

ya, I am having the same issue on my 4 day car too, goes off after 10 secs

upload_2018-7-3_23-57-8.png

@40milecommuter I picked mine up on the 30th as well, and experiencing the same issue. Heading into the service center July 12th, so we shall see what they say. How do you find out when the car was built?

I also have experienced the computer crashing multiple times. The scary moment is when I was on the freeway at about 70mph, and the screen completely locked up, but thankfully the car continued to run like normal. Scary though.

Same issue too.

Car was delivered on June 30th. I also get a low windshield washer fluid light at the same time. My car was made on June 24th, so this is a very new build.

I get the low washer fluid alert as well. I actually stopped by the service center and got the washer fluid topped off. that's when I showed them the brake alert. I hadn't noticed until today that the two seem linked.

Same issue, both brake light and low washer fluid alerts show on start, but only intermittently. Disappears after 30-60 seconds.

Took delivery July 2.

Any idea on when the firmware fix will ship? Will it be part of a larger update or something they patch quickly?

Just reported the same issue today to the Service Center (or whoever answers phones for the areas SCs). He did a quick look up and said this is normal -- meaning, I believe, that others are reporting it, too, and there does not seem to be an underlying issue. I would expect it to be fixed in the next firmware.

I get the low washer fluid alert as well. I actually stopped by the service center and got the washer fluid topped off. that's when I showed them the brake alert. I hadn't noticed until today that the two seem linked.
I get the low fluid alert as well. I tried adding some and it immediately overflowed, so either a sensor issue or a firmware issue.

Are we thinking that the two lights are related? Both bogus and both appearing together? By "together" I mean on the same cars, but also I do feel that they often appear and disappear together. I will try to figure out if there are times when one comes on and the other does not. I think there are.

I get the low fluid alert as well. I tried adding some and it immediately overflowed, so either a sensor issue or a firmware issue.

Are we thinking that the two lights are related? Both bogus and both appearing together? By "together" I mean on the same cars, but also I do feel that they often appear and disappear together. I will try to figure out if there are times when one comes on and the other does not. I think there are.
Yes they definitely appear together in my case. The wiper fluid warning appeared for me shortly after I took delivery and I had never used any fluid. It never appears unless accompanied by the brake warning.

I think I might have found a clue to this issue. When you get into your car hold down on the brake for about 15 seconds before putting it into Reverse or Drive. Don't tap the brake and then hold down the brake to move the shifter. Just get in and hold the brake down for 15 - 20 seconds. This seems to avoid the brake / coolant error I've been getting. I could just be imaging this, but give it a try.

@ScottCA I asked my ISA when my car was built and she somehow had the exact day. Sunday, June 24th. VIN 28xxx The door panel shows 6/2018.https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/members/scottca.79140/

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
I think I might have found a clue to this issue. When you get into your car hold down on the brake for about 15 seconds before putting it into Reverse or Drive. Don't tap the brake and then hold down the brake to move the shifter. Just get in and hold the brake down for 15 - 20 seconds. This seems to avoid the brake / coolant error I've been getting. I could just be imaging this, but give it a try.
Any idea why it works that way? Did Tesla suggest this?

Any idea why it works that way? Did Tesla suggest this?

I'd guess the software filtering on the fluid level inputs is activating before the input signal is present (or it doesn't initialize to the switch level). By holding the brake, the car stays in the park state allowing the filter to stabilize. The filter is there to prevent nuisance warnings when cornering causes the switch to activate.

There had been some cases of warnings when cornering, so they may have cranked up the filter time constant and not realized the side effect of increase initialization time.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte and outdoors
Also picked up 6/30 and have both the red parking brake and low washer fluid warnings. Called to schedule a service appt but they said try resetting the car Since doing the reset (holding down steering wheel buttons) I have had the messages appear once, so far.

Will try the 15-20 second trick in the morning to see if that works for me.

My Model 3 is one day old. Just pick it up today and saw that break light comes on or illuminated. If I put it on park again and d for drive again than push on that brake illuminated icon it might go away. I was using low re-gen mode and decided to try out the standard re-gen mode. That's when I think it started showing up. What gives? I'll play around with going back to low re-gen to see if that goes away.