TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Red brembo brake calipers

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Hybris, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Hybris

Hybris Member

Did note that the European configurator is now updated with new options and higher pricing. My config is now around 7000 USD more expensive.

My question is if the red brembo brake calipers is new? Domthe p85+ have brembo but not red? Is the update juste the color?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Interesting. That's not an option in the US. We all get the grey/black calipers. At least in the US, they're all Brembos, but they have Tesla branding on them. Looks like the Performance models will get red calipers in the future, if the EU site is any indication.

Edit: Also looks like some bundling going on. The regions I looked at in the EU also bundled the alcantara headliner and CF spoiler with the P85, along with the calipers.

3. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Very jealous of this....I want the red calipers, maybe we will have an option in US instead of getting mine painted?!?

4. Hybris

Hybris Member

As its just the cover that is red it should be easy to retrofit? Dont feel like paying an additonal 7000 USD for red calipers, power folding mirrors and alacantra headliner... ;-)

5. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Agreed….You think its a cover, or they painted from Brembo that way? How much are the breaks anyways if need to replaced? Anyone know?

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I doubt it. Brakes heat up to insane temps, and putting a cover on them would only make it worse. I've never seen any manufacturer cover up a caliper to add color, they just paint the caliper. These are just painted red instead of black.

7. Hybris

Hybris Member

So assume the chepast would just be to paint them... Red multicoat aligned color would be perfect?

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#8 Gizmotoy, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    If you're doing it aftermarket you mean? Your options will be somewhat limited. You need extremely high-temp paint, essentially made exclusively for brake calipers. I've seen maybe a dozen colors in total. As far as I'm aware, no one sells custom caliper paint to consumers, though you could probably find an automotive paint shop willing to do it if you call around.

9. Hybris

Hybris Member

Well i do have a bunch of old BMW and Porsche friends that know where to pimp the calipers. Will not do any pimping for start other than window tinting and removing the terrible chrome look. Will think about the calipers. Not a must do...

10. Bob Zjuronkl

Bob Zjuronkl New Member

Hi folks,

Just so I'm getting this straight, the only difference between the calipers on a stock 85 & a P85+ is the colour? On the Canadian configurator at the moment, you can de-select the red calipers on a P85+ but I wasn't clear if this leaves you w/some kind of non-performance brakes as opposed to the swanky red Brembo ones.

Thanks!

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My understanding is the red calipers option is only a color difference, not a functional one.

12. Bob Zjuronkl

Bob Zjuronkl New Member

Thanks for clarifying that!