Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Caliper Covers - RPM vs EVANNEX

Which design do you prefer?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Looking to purchase red Caliper covers and wondered if people have got any from RPM or ? Both drawings slightly different with the front Tesla logo on the RPM seem to be larger and on the EVANNEX they also have the white circles on.... which do you prefer? Is the quality the same?

RPM:

Model 3 Caliper Covers Engraved - with Jack Puck $219

33D74A86-5C06-4CEC-AC5F-87FCC71B4C75.png

EVANNEX:

Caliper Covers for Tesla Model 3

3AED1AC0-5E6C-4015-BFB6-F2CDE0D7BB18.png

• Funny
Reactions: Biggus
These happen to be be metal but they are just as horrible (all rebrands of MGP caliper covers). With time, they...

- and their hardware rust
- scrape and screetch against brake components
- look just as tacky on a Tesla as on a coal rolling pickup truck
- look almost as tacky as painted calipers and or drum covers

The only good thing about these MPG covers is they greatly diminish brake dust build up on the wheels (which is not much of an issue with Teslas anyway, especially if the wheels are ceramic coated or properly cleaned often enough). Everything else about MGP caliper covers is sadly a con.

The hardware rusts, the metal clips squeek, screatch and come loose every few months and need adjusting each time they are tightened or removed. As a result brake servicing is a pain.

Once the covers come loose (and they will), especially while at speed or in the middle of nowhere in sub-zero winter temps, nothing good happens.

But hey, what so I know, only had these installed on two cars for over 100K miles total, and never ever buying anything like them again.

OP and other on the fence about such mods - Your money, your car, you do you and be happy.

PSA - Both RPM and Evannex are the same product, just a different finish/look. Not worth $50 for a set of 4.

Reactions: Biggus and XLR82XS
As with most things, the best option costs more and has more effort. The easiest option (these covers) is the least desirable and can cause issues.

1) covers - don't do it
2) paint - much better than covers but requires some effort to do a good job. Prep is key.
3) powder coat - the best option but the most effort as calipers need removal, dealing with brake fluid, hassle of going to powder coater, car out of commission for days. Upside is durable finish that will look factory and least likely to peel.

Reactions: Biggus
As I mentioned before, I would not install caliper covers but to answer the OPs question, there is another option besides RPM and EVannex. EVTuning also makes them. Again, all these covers are good from afar but afar from good. At least these ones have real fake bolts...or is that fake real bolts? and only $475!

Attachments

• evtuning caliper covers.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 155
Thanks all, so I decided not to buy the covers and I have found somewhere local in the midlands that does a brilliant job of painting all four calipers for £220 :-D

I see what you all mean too, when you paint them you still have the nice shape of the Tesla caliper but with the cover on just a flat piece of metal and doesn't even look as nice!

Many Thanks Again.... will post pics once done.

Reactions: sentinoboca
Thanks all, so I decided not to buy the covers and I have found somewhere local in the midlands that does a brilliant job of painting all four calipers for £220 :-D

I see what you all mean too, when you paint them you still have the nice shape of the Tesla caliper but with the cover on just a flat piece of metal and doesn't even look as nice!

Many Thanks Again.... will post pics once done.
Good decision. We are all fully expecting pictures when done:).

MGP caliper covers (RPM etc rebranding and selling the same) were all the rage 10-15 years ago.

Looks aside, they are not worth their weight in scrap metal. With time, the brackets and bolt/nuts holding them in place a. bend, loosen up and b. rust - causing all kinds of fun noises while driving.

They also make servicing your brake system a royal pain.

Those who would notice or potentially even care about how your brake system looks, will know what they are right away.

But if you like them, enjoy them for as long as they last or however long you decide to put up with them.

Reactions: Biggus and MODEL+