Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red calipers: to paint or buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KOL2000

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2013
San Diego
Folks I’m thinking of getting red calipers for my S (55k miles). Should I paint ($950) or buy ($2200)? I’m thinking the advantage of buying is new brake pads too?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Painted mine with the g2 epoxy kit. They came out great! Definitely look better in red. I used the standard red kit and a few high temp vinyls from ebay. It was pretty easy to do if you have no trouble lifting your car.

My only tip is be sure to wait an hour and a half before applying vinyls.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lodo1000
I have used the G2 kit on several cars. It works very well and its extremely durable. One car I did I saw on the road four years later and they still looked new. You just pull the wheel, clean with the spray and brush, and apply it. Just buy some better brushes because the one they include is terrible.

04E7C8E1-3FAA-4838-917D-3029374355D3.jpeg

Did these for $79 kit from ForMyTesla, why would anyone not?
04E7C8E1-3FAA-4838-917D-3029374355D3.jpeg

I have used the G2 kit on several cars. It works very well and its extremely durable. One car I did I saw on the road four years later and they still looked new. You just pull the wheel, clean with the spray and brush, and apply it. Just buy some better brushes because the one they include is terrible.

Will do this in the spring as the grey is fading on my stock calipers. Would you mind sharing what cleaner and what brush you used? Did you apply 2 or 3 coats?

I used this:

and did mine myself 15 months ago. Also used vinyl decals off ebay. Calipers still look like I just did them. (I cant believe people are paying high amounts to get this done).

Easy steps: (doing this when temps are 70f or higher usually will result in better final result as the paint sprays better from the can)
- Wash the caliper thoroughly with a rag or two and bucket of water with some dishwashing liquid (Dawn is fine as it has greasecutters)
- Wipe caliper down to dry it or used compressed air
- Use can of brake cleaner to thoroughly clean the calipers after the washing. Two calipers used up one full can for me
- While caliper is drying use plastic trashbags or newspaper or whatever you want, to mask off rotor, wheelwell.
- Using even strokes and sweeping motions, apply several thin layers of paint to the caliper, letting each coat dry a few mins between other coats
- After at least 1-2 good hours of drying (will take longer in cooler weather, but using a heat gun on low and from about 12" away from the caliper can help as well), apply the decal, press firmly, and then very slowly and carefully, remove that clear covering piece of material from the decal lettering. Move slowly to ensure no paint is coming up with the clear paper.
- I then sprayed 2 thin coats of this on the final result to protect the decal

Lastly, I NEVER use wheel cleaner on my wheels. Only whatever car wash soap im using. Wheel cleaners tend to be harsh and will fade the caliper paint.

Total cost for above: Less than $40usd.