Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question @BenT @Attica04 .

In SA:

Coober Pedy 3 phase is installed according to the electrician. Just neeed property manager confirmation, then on Plugsshare.

There is a temporary 3 phase site at Marla (construction contractor) but we have given a 3 phase outlet to the roadhouse who are going to install after peak season, so this will be the one to go on Plugshare.

Similarly we have given a 3 phase outlet to the Glendambo Hotel Motel (needs mgt approval to install) and there is temp 3 phase site at a mine. There is an alternative roadhouse if the Hotel Motel fails to approve.

In practice, gaps mean that Marla and Glendambo can be both be done at 15A overnight (for a 90 anyway) which is what David did on the return trip (did not use Octopus or those two temporary sites).

In NT:

Erldunda and 3ways were listed 3 phase prematurely (not by me) so it looks like nothing has happened on Plugshare when we have actually got the 3 phase outlets in (Tennant Creek instead of 3ways).

Dunmarra, Devils Marbles and Mataranka all have 3 phase outlets now and will install (DM with own outlet)

A couple more 3 phase sites under discussion to get the max remaining gap from 350 to under 300.

Also to the west, Kings Canyon is positive for 3 phase and Yulara (Uluru) is assessing, but if you spend 2 nights at Uluru (which you will) then 15A is available and fine.

Overall there is enough 3 phase around right now to make a great trip bridged by a few 15A overnight top ups.

It would be REALLY good if someone is keen to drive to Darwin soon ! That will provide a nudge along for those 3 phase sites that still need to install ! As mentioned, the trip is "surprisingly easy" to quote David.

Last edited:
Richard, friends have just spotted you at Bunnings, Armidale! Tuesday 26th, 1130.
Yep my sister lives about 20km out of town (not the beginning of a new adventure I'm afraid) and she conveniently has a 32A single phase outlet. A very nice town to visit in a Tesla. Charge at Heatherbrae and 3 phase at Gloucester and enjoy the curvy drive up the big big hill !
20170927_060204.jpg

Yep my sister lives about 20km out of town (not the beginning of a new adventure I'm afraid) and she conveniently has a 32A single phase outlet. A very nice town to visit in a Tesla. Charge at Heatherbrae and 3 phase at Gloucester and enjoy the curvy drive up the big big hill !View attachment 250306

Nice way to learn! I saw an XP100D with a learner only a few days ago. I wondered if she had cheated and engaged autopilot???

Yep my sister lives about 20km out of town (not the beginning of a new adventure I'm afraid) and she conveniently has a 32A single phase outlet. A very nice town to visit in a Tesla. Charge at Heatherbrae and 3 phase at Gloucester and enjoy the curvy drive up the big big hill !View attachment 250306
@RichardMcN The 90D is a restricted vehicle in NSW so P1and P2 licensed drivers can't drive it. Not sure how that affects Lerner drivers with a full license driver along side. Still not likely to be heavily enforced in Armidale just worried about insurance coverage.
Vehicle restrictions - Younger drivers - Drivers - Staying safe - NSW Centre for Road Safety

@RichardMcN The 90D is a restricted vehicle in NSW so P1and P2 licensed drivers can't drive it. Not sure how that affects Lerner drivers with a full license driver along side. Still not likely to be heavily enforced in Armidale just worried about insurance coverage.
Vehicle restrictions - Younger drivers - Drivers - Staying safe - NSW Centre for Road Safety
Thanks for caring @meloccom ! Actually Tessie's policy is for drivers over 30 only, so we got a higher-excess inclusion for our son as a learner. The 90 zone from the Pacific Highway to Gloucester is ideal for "L"'s.

A question for anyone who did the South Australian leg of this trek - are the permanent locations going to be added to Plugshare soon?

The Tas branch has a printed version which we display at our events. It's a bit out of date! But the current Plugshare locations only show one spot (Coober Pedy) between Kulgera and Port Augusta. Given we'll be using this map for at least the next year it would be good if this leg was visibly marked out.

upload_2017-10-28_16-39-7.png

It is possible to add a location with a "coming soon" or "under construction" icon (the spanner) if you know the locations will be, but they aren't done yet.

upload_2017-10-28_16-41-33.png