Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new adventure for Tessie !

Adventure.png

It was very exciting to see @Rich Bentley 's Tesla Owners invite to Alice Springs for the festival season ...

Alice Invite.png

Even better, Richard B has been working like a demon organising charging sites between Adelaide and Alice, All I have needed to do is wrap up the deal and then look after the northern sites. We should soon have a nice line of 3 phase sites to Darwin !

We have 2 Teslas to Alice ...
  1. Tessie with me, Greg Partridge owner of 3 EV's (Syd to Alice), Ron (Alice to Darwin) and Dennis the Surfer (Adelaide to Alice)
  2. Darryl Bourke (with his even newer Tesla!) and Richard B. Sorry Darryl - Tessie always insists on being first!

And a radical plan to take the back way to Kings Canyon and Uluru via the dreaded Mereenie Loop Road!
Back Route.png

Will Tessie survive the long corrugated unsealed section of this outback highway? Yes ! But we will be carrying a spare tyre, sat phone, food and water !

Heading down the Hume tomorrow morning. Wish us luck !

Godspeed guys! I am in awe. Wish I could've gone but I'll be looking out for every detail. Sat phone, spares, food, water etc - great idea. I've flown over Kings Canyon - we wished there was somewhere nearby to land but it was still spectacular. Can't wait to see the pics.

Reactions: RichardMcN
So a question.. absolutely zero on Plugshare between Port Augusta and Alice Springs!

Are the locations pre-arranged? Are you waiting until you get there before you start adding places?
I generally avoid putting sites on Plugshare if I haven't tried them out yet @Chuq as you find at times that the supposed 5 pin plug is really a 4 pin, or the neutral is not wired in, or missing phases or ... There are a few other uncertainties too ...

Adelaide: Several options
Port Augusta: Standpipe Motel
Glendambo: No 3 phase yet but Richard's mate is checking out the power station. The roadhouse is possibly interested in the future.
Coober Pedy: An electrical contractor. Not sure if he will want to be on Plugshare. There are several motels we will check out.
Marla: As above but a construction contractor.
Erldunda: Keen and we have sent him a TOCA/AEVA socket but will he have it installed in time? He wants to install it when his electrician is on site for other work.
Alice Springs: Big 4 are installing two 3 phase sockets - great !
Barrow Creek: Had a spare 20A 3 phase socket lying around and installed it.
Threeways: Despite being on Plugshare as having 3 phase, I doubt it as I have been there and not seen the 3 phase (and Jeff Johnson who put it up does not remember) apart from one behind the restaurant counter which would inconvenience them and require a 50m+ extension lead.
Dunmarra: Gary the owner promises to at last install the socket I have him a year ago!
Katherine: Showground all good.
Darwin: Charles Darwin Uni is installing two 3 phase sockets to replace their long-broken Chademo.

So there you go! We have 4 sockets on board to give to keen property owners, and camping gear as you can never be sure with a new route, as well as Tessie's trusty (and now upgraded) octopus !

Last edited:
Tessie is getting a bit impatient ! I promised her an outback adventure, but so far there is neither ...

Nice destination charger hotel in Albury, but a bit short on outback character!
20170805_073327.jpg

Silly navigation ...
20170805_085811.jpg

Hunting for Superchargers
20170805_105656.jpg

Tessie in Ballarat
20170805_160154.jpg

Mark is the first (and maybe only) fellow to have charged at all past and present Superchargers in Aust
20170805_144050.jpg

Tessie in Beaufort
20170805_164054.jpg

What the ... !
20170805_175332.jpg

Looks like RayRoz got the prime spot but Tessie just squeezed in
20170805_182627.jpg

So now a couple more days to Port Augusta, then we're into it !

Reactions: bradjc
This Tesla style of driving - supercharging in the day and destination charging at night is very pleasant indeed, especially through the Victorian countryside, and with one exception, will take us all the way to Port Augusta !

So how did we go with the bad weather??
Check this out: 284Wh/km at 100km/h over 90km !
Screenshot_2017-08-07-21-09-20~01.png

Tessie's animal friends
20170806_095549.jpg

Rail Border (and long forgotten customs house)
20170806_102709.jpg

Road Border
20170806_100648.jpg

My new Juice Booster 2 is christened at Keith Showground where we have to add 50% rather than the usual 10% due to the headwinds
20170806_110817.jpg

It is the best I've tried yet. No fiddling - just plug and play.

Honestly if you have kids you MUST stop at Keith where the long subway tunnel has the most dramatic echo ever!
20170806_112232.jpg

Unusual
IMG_7620~01.jpg

The Murray River from the high bank at Tailem Bend looks like the Rhine, or maybe the Mississippi !
20170806_153259.jpg

Journalist Brenden from the Clare Argus gets the scoop !
20170807_161444.jpg

And this is the Jamestown wind farm where Elon's big battery will go...
20170807_174036.jpg

So tonight we are in PORT AUGUSTA where the Outback will begin ....