TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Red Color -- Decision

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by siraj, May 20, 2016.

1. siraj

siraj Member

I need help.. My order is already confirmed and my DS says he might be able to make the change if I pay the $500 and let him know today itself. I just saw the facelift in person today. It was a red color and I really loved it. Question I have is.. Is red too feminine? Any guys over here have the red color? Also I really didn't like the slipstreams. It looked like hubcaps. I am thinking of getting these rims.. Any feedback? Please help!!
    TST 20" Tesla Model S Wheel

2. JeffC

JeffC Member

Unless only women are buying Ferraris, lots of guys get red cars. :)

I'd say if it looks good to you, that's the strongest reason to get it.

3. sickfox

sickfox Member

IMHO, if you're buying the car to show that you're manly, then you're buying the car for the wrong reason. you should pick the color of the car because you love it. but who am i to say. I wanted to get red but my wife wanted white... :(

4. syswei

syswei Member

IMO red is gender-neutral. If you want it to look a bit more manly, add an aftermarket spoiler in black or carbon fiber, window tinting, and a chrome delete (wraping chrome in black).

5. syswei

syswei Member

p.s. oh yes, and get the black or dark gray wheels

6. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

I think all of the colors are pretty gender neutral, especially since there's really nothing bright/pastel. You should get what color calls to you. (Although for me it was green, so had to go with the second calling)

7. siraj

siraj Member

I still haven't made the change. I guess it's going solid black. My ds says tesla doesn't recommend 20" wheels. He says go with 19 or 21

8. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

I also thought the slipstreams didn't look great, but I have an aftermarket aversion, so I ordered cyclones. T-sportline does make a 19" version of the rims you were looking at. Ultimately it depends on how much you're willing to spend on tires. It's pretty well documented that 19"s last as long as they would on any other car and 21"s last 10-15k with a much higher risk of blowouts. I'm guessing 20s fall somewhere in between.

I think 19s look plenty big on a low slung sedan like the model S. Currently I drive a Lancer with 18s and never once have thought "this needs bigger rims."

9. JeffC

JeffC Member

FWIW 19s with the high efficiency Michelins are a very efficient choice. It kind of depends on whether you're looking for style or efficiency. People can have different priorities.

Lolaindycar theorizes that the 21s wear out faster due to greater camber sensitivity. He may be right.

10. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

This.

11. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I have the MC Red and I'm a guy. I love this color but I decided to Plasti-Dip the stock silver 19" wheels black and it looks much better.

12. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

[​IMG]

chromed the rims this weekend

It was always Red for me

• Like x 1
  13. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

My car is grey but I just had a red loaner for 5 days. You definitely get a lot more looks with red. There's no issue that it attracts attention (from police too if you like to drive fast). I didn't like it, since it's too flashy for me, but to each their own. I don't see it as feminine though. Everyone in my office, and my family, told me they liked the red better.

14. Cowby

Cowby Member

Sig. Red....how I love thee....it's a *manly* red if u ask me....alas, so few on the road...

15. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Best color there is.

The contrast between the chrome, the curves and lines of the clean sleek body and the led lights is just spectacular.

16. superm1

superm1 Member

Red is awesome, I would not consider Tesla's red to be more feminine.

The metallic red is aggressive and definitely draws attention. Get it with grey wheels (or coat the wheels later).

17. themacs

themacs Member

Go with what you like!

But the 21" grey will set it off!

18. JPP

JPP Active Member

I was an early adopter of the multi-coat red...in fact I ordered the car waiting for Elon to find 'a red that did not suck'. Would do it again in a minute.

19. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

You folks are TEASING me with all this RED talk......I would never imagine loving a red car but the more I read and the more red teslas I see I'm starting to eat, drink and breathe RED!!
    Red S with grey 21's, pano roof, black interior w/ carbon fiber accents, carbon fiber spoiler and red calipers.......hmmmm, I'm leaning RED and I can't believe it......Male - 48 years

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1