Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Deer, Alberta gets a SC! But what is it for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. They are not all in to the concept. If they want lip service of EV charging put in a J1772 and let it be iced all day. Tesla is serious about their supercharger model. If stories like this become widespread and very public the value of the supercharger network drops drastically as its always iced and no one cares.

No EV charging spot should be blocked - SC or J1772 alike. Of course some people believe rules do not apply to them, and lack common courtesy. Would be best if local authorities would enforce punishment for this type of parking violation.

The letter from the hotel said "[t]he set up that has been provided by Tesla does have one station that is in a corner where even if a car is parked in the Tesla space, a car parked behind this car would still be able to have access to the charger. This is still not ideal as your car wouldn’t be in a proper space while charging but could be an option if needed." Given how short the charging cables are on the superchargers, I wonder whether this would even be possible.

ah so making fun of pickup drivers like that is socially acceptable and politically correct (unlike drivers of , say, certain other vehicles)? that's interesting.

lets keep that in mind for future reference, then :)
Not really sure what this means. i guess Joking about dyslexia might be bad form but AFAIK pickup drivers are not an ethnic minority and the joke wasn't about pickup drivers as much as pickup drivers who by either ignorance or by disrespect decide that they can park in these spots. I guess the fact that the vehicles are somewhat the antithesis of EV vehicles, makes it somehow more annoying and therefore funnier. To be clear If this thread was about a bunch of EV drivers parking in all the available pump spots at a gas station I'd happily laugh at any witty insults about EV drivers.

The letter from the hotel said "[t]he set up that has been provided by Tesla does have one station that is in a corner where even if a car is parked in the Tesla space, a car parked behind this car would still be able to have access to the charger. This is still not ideal as your car wouldn’t be in a proper space while charging but could be an option if needed." Given how short the charging cables are on the superchargers, I wonder whether this would even be possible.

Yes, after visiting the site, the charger on the corner would allow a car to charge even if all marked stalls had been ICEd.

It's a brilliant placement of a SC station!!

If all the green stalls where ICEd, a Tesla (grey car) just pulls up in front of a couple of them and connects to the SC on the corner. Double parking the ICErs until done. Justice delivered in real-time. Jot down license plates, leave a note on windshields (an apologetic one to the poor guy behind the Tesla who is not ICEing and less apologetic to the ICErs), and point your dashcam to the left and leave it on while you're charging, and go for a walk.

Normally, the grey car would just drive straight into the SC stall, and connect. Instead of the traditional backing in.

If all SC sites had an odd placement like this for at least one location, it would be a great design. Some people just don't like backing into stalls.

The blue box is the Tesla transformer.
Red boxes are the Tesla stations.

RDSC.png

Last edited:
If all SC sites had an odd placement like this for at least one location, it would be a great design. Some people just don't like backing into stalls.

Tesla originally planned all drive-straight-in stalls, with the stations between the stalls. I remember pointing out to them that this would be a bear for snow removal. They really hadn't thought that through - California-centric thinking! But when they started deploying in more northern locales they switched to having the stalls on the curb.